• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Westmont Red White and BBQ 2012

Porky Joes

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I will be sending out my application tomorrow for the professional and hope to be a judge for the amateurs to pick up some tips.

I do have a few questions regarding the peoples choice contests. How much of each do you have to make for the different categories since I would like to participate in all of them? Can you use a crockpot for the chili when handing it out?

I noticed last year that some of the teams were selling sauce at the booths. Do you need some type of permit to do this if it is professionally bottled?

Is it better to get there on Friday or Saturday?

Thanks,

Rich "Porky Joes" Clifford

I seen teams last year with a crockpots full of chili. I was told Friday is preferred but I got their Sat morning last year and it was fine.

When to arrive depends on the size of your setup. I dropped our trailer off on Friday last year because it's easier to get parked.

For chili, two years ago the weather was nice and we went through 5 gallons. Last year the weather was lousy and I probably only went through 2 gallons. I did hear that they are thinking about changing the format for the chili, but nothing has been announced yet.

I also heard from the organizer that they are rearranging the layout to eliminate as much grass as possible. So maybe no mudslides. :)

This Hoosier is coming back up to defend my 2hour rain delay chicken championship... Should be in friday again to drop off the gear and then go to hotel for the night. I hope the Jambo is safe lol...

I'm not 100% sure, Rich. Chris mentioned the lower lot where they had the awards ceremony, but I don't think things are finalized yet.

The lower lot is expanded for the fest area. The only expansion teamsvwill go on street andvthe carnival gets moved farther down the street. There will be less teams on the grass this year. Everything else has not been finalized, like chili, et al. The next committee meeting is in 2 weeks. That's probably as much as I can say.

What's the dates on this comp? I have been jonesin to return to my roots and cook one. I need to visit the parental unit too.

What's the dates on this comp? I have been jonesin to return to my roots and cook one. I need to visit the parental unit too.

Let me know if there is anything I can do if you do come in Steph. I have an extra WSM, sorry the Jambo is already being loaned out to this bad ass Texan. But we could probably get whatever you need.

Thanks, Scottie. I am going to look into the dates. I got two 18.5 Wsms and a kettle at my mom's house.

Let me know if there is anything I can do if you do come in Steph. I have an extra WSM, sorry the Jambo is already being loaned out to this bad ass Texan. But we could probably get whatever you need.

We have extra stuff, too. Tables, coolers, WSM. Come and play with us!

My application went out in the mail today. What is the policy on selling professionally bottled sauce from your area?

I think they would rather the sponsors sell their wares. They are paying a fee for that right. But you can also check with Chris Svitak.

Back