Box Truck For Competitions???

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Anybody ever seen this done? I have seen people take old bread trucks and use them for catering and vending, but never for competitions.

The only drawback I can think of would be having to pay insurance on another vehicle.

Any thoughts?

the main issue i see is having your equipment/storage directly attached to a motor.

if the engine breaks down, your SOL.

whereas with a trailer, you can hook it to another vehicle.

Hmmmmm this is true, and that would ROYALLY suck!

The risk of theft and total loss of vehicle and gear would suck bigtime.
Would check on insurance coverage on possible loss.

OTOH... other teams have done that with purchased rental trucks, travel trailers, Toyhaulers and RV's.

I've thought about doing this a lot and would love to do it. I've seen used box trucks for sale for about 3k. I've also thought about getting a flatbed, like a low landscaping truck, and pitting a trailer body on that. I think with some work, you could turn the box into a really nice work and sleeping space. It makes sense for me because I don't have a pit that I can roll on and off of an enclosed trailer. It needs to be permanently mounted to something. In my shoes, I would consider the box truck approach a poor man's RV. If you have a rollable cooker, I'd look at a trailer if you have the truck/suv/van. Otherwise, I think a box truck is a good idea. Besides the cost, the only thing that's held me back, and I've looked at it some-what seriously, is the question of buying a used box truck with a lot of miles on it. How is the upkeep and maintainence going to be on that?

dmp

I considered the small 10' box truck similar to the U-Haul "apartment mover". It would provide a complete set up and let me stand up while working. I went with an E-150 because it had seating for up to 5 persons. With the box truck, it only seats 2. I haven't seen a crewcab box truck but that would be perfect choice for me. Out here in CA, we have a 55 mph speed limit when towing. There is also lane limits for combinations. I realize most drivers ignore the limits but all it take is one ticket to bump up the insurance costs. That is why a trailer is not an option for me.

Benny

There use t be a team here is the St. Louis Area that used one. From the sounds of things it worked good for hauling equipment around but wasn't too great for long trips.

I was next to WhiskeyBent in Rochester in 2010. They pulled up in a box truck with all their gear inside. The setup was:

1) Run a vent hose from the smoker to the outside
2) Take out a table
3) Take out 2 chairs

Took 'em 5 minutes. No EZUP, no gear to move. Could have some real benefits.

Raystown%20BBQ%20@%20the%20Beach%202011%20003%20(Medium).jpg
we use a box van..

Re: the Smoking Yankee's rig (above)...the carry a portable A/C unit on wheels and vent it out the bottom of the rolling door....pretty sweet on a 100 degree day.

The problem I would have is having to climb up into it to do any work if I didn't have a site setup outside. Heck, I have problems at the end of a comp climbing up into our small trailer!

Back