• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Bone in/Bone out Thighs

Thighs with or with out bone

• Yes, I turn in deboned thighs

Votes: 17 19.1%
  • No, I leave the bone in

Votes: 68 76.4%
  • I find it doesn't matter

Votes: 4 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hozman

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Chicken by far is my weakest link. Going to do a couple local comps this summer and need to start making my chicken better. Been doing a lot of reading on here and looking at pics. Was curious to how many leave the thigh bone vs. how many de-bone their thighs

As a judge, I could care less which one comes across the table. As a competitor, we do boneless because we seem to get more consistent results with our cooking process. Chicken is cheap. I'd recommend practicing a lot both ways and see what works best for you and your team.

I have found that bone it cooks a little better for me. It also tastes much better, and allows for a more consistant appearence.

I've got a 10th place call boneless and a 5th place bone in. For me, it all depends on how ambitious I feel when trimming the chicken before a competition. I don't change my cook times at all either way, and it's been pretty consistent.

I think the thighs stay a little moister with the bone in. But it could be my imagination...

I think the thighs stay a little moister with the bone in. But it could be my imagination...

I'd definitely agree with you there, but the moistness also depends strongly on the amount of prep that goes into it. If there is no prep beforehand, you may have to deal with dryness and that can be no fun at all.

I'd definitely agree with you there, but the moistness also depends strongly on the amount of prep that goes into it. If there is no prep beforehand, you may have to deal with dryness and that can be no fun at all.

:shock::shock::shock::tape:

I prefer bone in, I don't think boneless or chicken that has been in muffin pans looks as good, in my opinion chicken thighs should not all look identical.

it all looks good once it's in the clam anyway.

however, i debone for a number of reasons.
1) consistency. each thigh is exactly the same and will cook likewise.
2) the "vein" is removed and any doubt of undercooking
3) no chance of bone fragments(if trimming the knuckle)
4) skin can wrap around entire peice and avoid the "hairpeice" look.

If I think about it, a better question may be:

I have won a GC or top 5 in chicken with bone.

I have won a GC or top 5 in chicken without bone.

I have done both.

Back