My Step-mother wants a well done, juicy steak

MIKEMAC

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
She wants a well-done juicy steak and I want to try to make it for her. My dad can't get her to eat steak at all cause he thinks it can't be done. I do have my doubts but am willing to try. I am going to smoke it first and do a reverse sear. Any tips on internal temperature to get all the color out? Also, I figured that I would put hers on maybe 5-10 minutes before everyone else's. When just cooking for my family, since I like rare and my wife & kids like medium rare, I just take mine off and let it rest a couple of minutes before I sear them. I just don't know how much longer hers is going to take to cook.

Do it like a brisket cooked tritip! :becky:

In all seriousness tho... there's very little you can probably do IMO. Best thing I could offer up is get a good steak and start with that. My gut tells me not to waste a good steak like that but a done steak is exactly that... a done steak! :crazy::wink:

Good luck! :thumb

Cheers

Do it like a brisket cooked tritip! :becky:

In all seriousness tho... there's very little you can probably do IMO. Best thing I could offer up is get a good steak and start with that. My gut tells me not to waste a good steak like that but a done steak is exactly that... a done steak! :crazy::wink:

Good luck! :thumb

Cheers

Well, I already got filet's, so I was thinking cook to maybe 155 then sear? Mine's coming off at 118!

If you start with a good, well marbled steak, you can cook it your normal way, just longer.

My ex-SIL would only eat Well done steaks. I always got a thinner cut for her, so it would cook through faster. Don't poke any holes in the meat while cooking, and give it an adequate rest, since it will be hot all the way through.

The ones I made for my SIL always came out juicy and flavorful, even though they were well done.

CD

Whoa, tenderloin is hard to cook well done, but not impossible. Good luck.

CD

It is possible in several different ways. None of them easy on the grill. But, start with somthing like a coullote steak (from either the rump cap or tri-tip). You could also use a rolled boneless ribeye. The rolled ribeye will need to be tied. Apply a rub that has no black pepper at least 4, and more like 6 hours ahead, wrap in plastic wrap tightly. Refrigerate for all but last 45 minutes. It must be warmed to room temperature.

At this point, you can either sear for color and butter poach the steak, or smoke it, no smoke wood, just lump, to temperature. Take it to 145f either way. Wrap in foil to rest for 15 minutes.

You will need a choice steak, at least 3/4 inch thick. Do not use filet or strip. A flat iron could work, I don't know for sure.

Well, I already got filet's, so I was thinking cook to maybe 155 then sear? Mine's coming off at 118!

Ok here's what you do...it's pretty straight forward really, Give her the well done filet and then if she loves it great but if she complains just give her a taste of one jof the medium ones and see what kinda reaction you get. To be honest I think a filet is not the best cut of steak to go well done with. I know it's late but next time you can try what Guerry mentioned and try a cut that might work better at well done like the sirloin. :thumb: Really hope it works out for you... Well her, I'm sure ur steak will be great! :heh::heh:

Cheers

I have never understood why folks like filet. Unless cooked rare, it has a terrible texture. It's flavor is flat to me. Certainly well done it is dry. Tender, but dry.

I do carne asada to well done and they come out juicy. That's the only type of steak I have luck with to please the well done crowd. I usually pick up skirt steak from Costco for this cook.

What Bob said is pretty much right on the money. When given this task, I usually take them out of the fridge an hour ahead of time at least. This is sort of like a pre-cook that raises the temp without removing any juice. Especially it raises the internal temp so that it has a lot less to cook and the interior will be much more even. I would cook at a low temp to about rare, then sear the outside. If you can't do it this way, then do a regular high-heat sear, then cut the temp to about 250-275* and let it slowly rise to about 140-145*. Take it off and let it rest covered 10 minutes. If at all possible I would get another steak though, any other.

I have never understood why folks like filet. Unless cooked rare, it has a terrible texture. It's flavor is flat to me. Certainly well done it is dry. Tender, but dry.

I am so with you on that. There are a couple of things I do with filets, especially with sauces, but for a steak, I would go for anything else. I do prefer rare but will tolerate medium rare, otherwise they taste like shoe leather, and dry shoe leather at that.

I do have a sirloin that I bought for my kids. I want my step-mother to have the best steak I can possibly make for her as she does a whole lot to help me with my children. Should I give her the sirloin instead?

Well done steak????:shock: Tell her it's against your religion to ruin a perfectly good steak and grill her a pork chop!

I do have a sirloin that I bought for my kids. I want my step-mother to have the best steak I can possibly make for her as she does a whole lot to help me with my children. Should I give her the sirloin instead?

Oh dear, this is a tough call. There is always the possibility your step-mother might really like to eat dry shoe-leather and might wonder why she is eating sirloin and the kids are eating filet. If given the choice, I would take a well-done sirloin to a filet any day, but I don't know what the impression she will have. What I would do with that sirloin though is cut it up into 2" cubes, marinate them for an hour at room temp and skewer them into kebabs. There are thousands of quick and easy marinades.

Back