logo

I'm Heading to Iowa

QN

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Will be in Iowa Jan. 16 - 20 for work. Project is in Cedar Rapids, but I want to try to get to Des Moines to try Smokey D's while I'm in the area. Any info on good eats in Cedar Rapids is appreciated; does not have to be barbecue.

No trip to Des Moines would be complete without trying a Maid-Rite loose-meat sandwich. It's on my bucket list anyway. :becky:

• Thanks
Reactions: pat
If you don't mind a bit of a drive, the breaded pork tenderloin (BPT) sandwich at TC's Point After in De Witt, IA is supposed to be quite good. I've never had it but it's spoken highly of by someone whose judgment I trust. Joensy's in Center Point is also supposed to be good place for a BPT.

Bottom line: don't leave the state without trying at least 1 BPT!

If you do get to Des Moines, think about a visit to Woody's Smoke Shack if time allows. I visit Des Moines every April and since I ate at Smokey D's this year it'll probably be Woody's next year, unless another option presents itself.

Brad

Smoky D's also has what they call a "Farm Boy" platter that's about 16 inches in diameter. You start with two slices of white bread, put on a monster breaded pork tenderloin, cover with a mountain of fries, some melted cheese, a great country gravy and topped with crumbled bacon :grin: :grin:.
I'm 6' 2" and weigh right at 300 lbs and I struggle to eat 1/3 of this monster! Sure is nice that they have a ton of "to go" boxes right handy.
When you decide when you're coming to DSM let us know - might be good for a mini Bash.

Al, if you bring him to DSM (and pick up Herb & Ed on the way) we just might have a mini-bash after all!

I fly into DSM on Monday, January 16. Staying overnight at the Ankeny Hampton Inn and driving to Cedar Rapids on Tuesday morning. I drive back to DSM on Thursday, January 19 and stay overnight at the airport Hampton Inn and fly out on Friday morning. I am hoping to hit Smokey D's on Monday evening. Other than that, I am open to any suggestions. Let me know if any brethren in the area want to try to get together.

As Al said, no good BBQ in CR. Go for the BPT for sure. Joensy's used to be the best but may have gone out of business. Called them and phone was disconnected.

The Safari lounge has a good one as well as Oscars. I ended up at the Starlight Lounge on first avenue. Not too shabby. The Tic Toc Lounge on 17th street has a good one too but don't bother with their BBQ.

A new bar that is very good is Brick's which is downtown on Second street next to the tracks. No BPT, but great pizza and breaded mushrooms. My niece Christina works there.

There is also a good pizza place on the North East side on Center Point road near 32nd street.

There is also a cool biker bar on the SE side called the Chrome Horse. Good pizza and bar food.

For an Iowa treat, go to the Amana's and have a family style meal. The Rhonnenburg is the best German and the Ox Yoke has the best steaks.

And if you want some Czech food, do down to the Avenue, 16 th Avenue, and eat at Al's Red Frog and drink some Czechvar beer.

Last edited:
Smokey D's last night. Very good ribs and brisket; pork was good, but a little dry. Overall great food! It was good to visit with Dave Compton, Clone, and the Iowa Outlaws team.

If you are traveling on HWY 30 back towards Des Moines stop in at the Country House restaurant just west of Colo at the Twin Anchors campground. They were voted 2nd place for their breaded pork tenderloin. If you've never had one they are great.

• Thanks
Reactions: QN
Hickory Park in Ames (15 miles north of Ankeny) definitely has the most hype in the area. They do an incredible daily volume...their ribs are fair to ok. The best things about the place are their sides, sundaes, and atmosphere. Smokey D's has better BBQ staples by far (ribs, brisket, pulled pork, sausage, etc) but Hickory Park does pretty good with their sliced meat sandwiches. Check it out and maybe you can figure out what the hype is about :)

• Thanks
Reactions: QN
Mark, it was great meeting you face to face. If you are going to get back in time Thursday, let me know & I'll see if I can round up a couple of other miss-fits for dinner :grin:.

The Safari lounge has a good one as well as Oscars. I ended up at the Starlight Lounge on first avenue. Not too shabby. The Tic Toc Lounge on 17th street has a good one too but don't bother with their BBQ.

Made it to Chappy's Safari Lounge and had a grilled tenderloin; very good!
Had a fried one at Tic Toc; thought Safari was better, but Tic Toc onion rings were great. Headed to Woody's tonight.

I used to live in Des Moines, and I moved out before all these good places moved in!

I'm guessing they were like "OK, he's gone. Quick, set up shop!"

I always liked the Amana Barn in the Amana Colonies, in between Ames and CR. Great pork chops. Haven't been there in a decade, but mmm....

Back