double smoked hams

JONESY

is one Smokin' Farker
So what's the deal with double smoked hams? Are people still doing them? What's the best method, Dr. Chicken, Dr. Pepper, something new? I've read a bunch of the threads and they all seem to be about 3 years old, is this not a good way to doctor up a store bought ham?

Any input would be appreciated, I have 3 Christmas dinners to host in 4 days and need some easy but good main dishes.

Oh yeah, lots of us are still doing them. I use a home made injection of AJ, cinnimon,cloves, brown sugar and Jack.

I just put them on the wsm for a few hours,hickory chunks,and take them off at 140-150',rest them a half hour and carve.
Must be OK,never much leftover. T

Got one on the BGE now.

Shank,deboned,retied.

100_4896.jpg

100_4897.jpg

100_4899.jpg

100_4900.jpg

100_4901.jpg

I'm doing 6 tomorrow. Follow Whiskey's Dr. Pepper recipe and you won't go wrong. Personally I use Wild Turkey.

I just put them on the wsm for a few hours,hickory chunks,and take them off at 140-150',rest them a half hour and carve.
Must be OK,never much leftover. T

I'm with Tony on this one. Keep it simple. I also add some mesquite and cherry wood for some layers of flavor but you can't go wrong with just hickory IMHO.:thumb:

I was reading Dr. Whiskey's recipe and seems pretty dang good. I think I will do one for Christmas day. I was going to do a fresh ham, but have had trouble locating one, and now its to late even if I find one today.

Back