THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SmokinAussie

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne
Name or Nickame
Bill
G'Day Bruces' :becky:!

Man, it sems like forever since I posted QTalk Thread!

Well, I made some sausages just the other day! I saw this great deal at my Meatatarium...
DSC_0091.jpg

and figured I could not buy a pork shoulder that cheap that I would have to grind up myself... so this would make some nice cheap pork "snags"!:thumb:

I decided I'd add some bacon, some additional back fat and some smoked garlic that I did up a la Phrasty style.
DSC_0089.jpg

And my daughter helped by grinding that up..
DSC_0090.jpg

Goodness me... she's growing up wayyyyy too fast...

Anyway, then I had to mix everything up...
DSC_0098.jpg

I've lost 12 kilo's now, so my old Foo Fighers T-Shirt fits for the first time really!:bow:

Anyway, the mix went into the fridge for 24 hours to soak up the wine etc.. and the next day we got ready to make the snags!
DSC_0111.jpg

And here's the first batch!
DSC_0112.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

Some of these are about a foot long!:thumb:

Anyway, then I won the Far East Feast TD and so it was a pretty obvious thing to choose "SNAGS" for a TD!

So, I took 5 snags and dusted them with Stephs Farking Marvelous Spicy Apple Rub and left them sit for 2 hours.
DSC_0025.jpg

And then I put them in a baking pan with a little Blue Angel apple cider. (7.0% BTW... farking awesome Cider from Perth!... BUCCS, you gotta try some!!!!) This baking pan was being used as a drip tray which was catching juices and fat from my Corned Beef / Pastrami smoke (which will be in another thread)
DSC_0026.jpg

And then back under the pastrami smoke to gently braise...
DSC_0027.jpg

While that was happening, I made Guerry's coleslaw... as close to the recipe as I could..
DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

Mixed in, it looked great. I didn't think I'd made enough of the vinegar dressing, but in fact you don't need too much. Nothing worse than a soggy coleslaw, so this was just right!:thumb:

Back to the snags... I flipped them in the pan. They were braising very nicely:-D
DSC_0038.jpg

Then I got out my new toy!
DSC_0044.jpg

This old slicer, I got off ebay for $100.00 it needed a little repair, which I have fixed. It is very old and has no shine left on it anymore, but for my small use, it does the job.:becky:

So anyway, I sliced up some home smoked bacon!
DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

I wrapped the par braised snags in the bacon and gave them another good dusting of Spicy Apple Rub!
DSC_0051.jpg

By that time, the pastrami was done and I still had a lot of fuel left on the "Bullet Bill"... so I added some more oak and left out the water pan...
DSC_0048.jpg

And on went the snags... I'd had some corn and sweet potatoes on for quite a while already!
DSC_0053.jpg

Using the WSM as a grill works pretty well!:thumb:
DSC_0063.jpg

YUM!
DSC_0065.jpg

A quick re-toss of the coleslaw!
DSC_0060.jpg

And plated, along with some of the Pastrami I made ealier, which had rested nicely. I also made some gravy out of the braising liquid
DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

And finally......
DSC_0069.jpg

Man it was a good dinner. That sausage with the bacon and Simply Marvellous Spicy Apple rub, was awesome. The gravy, made from the braising liquid, which also had all the juices from the pastrami, was like nothing I've ever had before.... And Guerry's Vinegar Slaw cut through all the richness of the sausage, bacon and gravy. I really like that slaw recipe!:thumb:

Thanks for looking!

Cheers!

Bill

Wow, Bill. You really outdid yourself on that cook!

I like seeing your daughter jumping right in there to help. Good help is hard to find these days!

All of it looks outstanding!!:thumb:

Now that's some good eats. Anything wrapped in bacon wins automatically. Nice to get the kids involved early and often. Get that next generation cooking and not going out for every meal.

Back