MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
Stacks
On the road to being a farker

Default If I do this right it could explode...

A local business is having a small get together (40-50) in 9 days. Because of the holiday season, every building to rent is being used, so they asked to rent a friends building and asked him to cook as well. I've been wanting to start a BBQ venture on a very small scale mostly cooking the main dish for gatherings without actually catering an event. My friend asked me to cook. The customer mentioned burgers and dogs for his guests, which I have no problem doing, but the company he works for is very large and this small gig could turn into some major functions later on if I do it right. I don't get the impression he's wanting to "wow" his guests, just feed them. But in the end I'm either going to be the "caterer" or "the guy who cooked for us once."
Does anyone have any advice to make a statement without looking like I'm trying if burgers and dogs are what he wants? If that is the route he wishes to go I'm planning on offering beans and potato salad or slaw, drinks, and desert. Buffet style using disposable plates and silverware. I don't have a lot of prep time and any help or advice is appreciated. I'm diving into unknown waters here.
SAUCED HOG BBQ / KCBS CBJ #60733
Stacks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sounds as if you'll need to make a fairly large investment just to get the equipment to handle this.
That usually negates any job worthwhile unless your ready to make the commitment.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
Stacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Sounds as if you'll need to make a fairly large investment just to get the equipment to handle this.
That usually negates any job worthwhile unless your ready to make the commitment.
Thanks for the input. What type of equipment?
The only equipment I can think of that would be handy for this gig that I don't have would be the warmers, but I think we have a pretty good work around for that since the group is so small. I often cook for family and friends in numbers this size, but the expectations aren't the same when the meal is free. I'm torn as to weather I want to allow this to go into a full catering venture (assuming this first one is a success) or stick with my original plan of cooking main dish items for folks wanting to throw their own party. I'm just now learning the involvment, and expense you all have just to get into business. I'm no where near ready to commit that far just yet. I'm hoping this gig that just fell into my lap may be the first building block. The actual cooking, flavor profiles and service I can do. But I'm lost on the other aspects of fee's, general expectations, and where I'm likely to trip. This guy has tried all the local venues for catering and came up empty or he wouldn't have called. His actual words were "I noticed you guys had a grill." My goal is to ensure he looks good and to far exceed his low expectations for his event.
Again I appreciate all advice

Old 11-30-2011, 11:51 AM   #4
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

Do you have all the required stuff for your area, example, do you need NSF equipment, a NSF smoker to feed the public?

I know in Minnesota the rules are pretty strict
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
Stacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtsara View Post
Do you have all the required stuff for your area, example, do you need NSF equipment, a NSF smoker to feed the public?

I know in Minnesota the rules are pretty strict
Great question. I'm researching the local requirements today to see if we can meet them. Thank you

Old 12-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
Capn Kev
is one Smokin' Farker

A) You need to be licensed by your local Health Dept., research that, you can determine what steps you will need to take to achieve your status. Most likely, this will require that you prep the food in a licensed "shared" commercial kitchen/commissary.
B) You need general liability insurance, don't leave home without it! Cost is dependent upon how much biz you plan to do, and the requirements of the company you're feeding.
C) You need to follow safe food prep guidelines. Look for a local "ServSafe" class, and take it.
D) Your equipment needs to meet NSF guidelines. You can get NSF serving stuff at most Sam's Clubs. Just look for the NSF sticker/label.

To be "legal" you're probably looking at an initial investment of at least a few grand. Don't just go into it blind, you will leave yourself (and your clients) way too financially exposed.

Kev
FEC-100, REC TEC Grill, WSM 22.5", UDS, KCBS CBJ #54829
[/SIZE]
Capn Kev is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->