Is it OK to add smoke to a smoked ham???

Rubmybutt

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have a bone in Kor-Bert smoked ham and I have heard that adding or resmoking an already smoked ham will taste even better, is this true or false? Thank you. :thumb:

I guess it depends on how "smoky" the ham is to begin with. Most of the store bought ones aren't too smoky and I've had great luck giving them a double smoke. The hams I get are precooked so basically it's just a low (200F) smoke to an internal of 145F. I've also cured fresh hams & smoked them to 145F internal. Unbelievably better than a double smoked store bought ham for sure. Cheers!!!

It's more than ok to smoke a smoked ham - around my house, it's mandatory on Thanksgiving!
Apparently there's a great recipe called "Dr. Chicken's Double Smoked Ham" around here somewhere - I've never tried it myself, but people rave about it.

I saw a post here not long ago that one pron show'd running new slice marks around the ham to allow more smoke into the center and then of course a very rich drizzle of prailene strawberry glaze? Does this work for you? :thumb:

That plan seems sound to me :hungry:

We used to score hams in a diamond pattern at this BBQ restaurant I worked at - we'd stick cloves in the center of each diamond. We'd glaze with a mixture of pineapple juice, butter, and brown sugar. Great stuff.

I haven't been doing it at home 'cause I've been using a pepper rind ham and I've had good luck with just sticking it in the cooker and letting it be. I may try the scoring thing next time - haven't thought about it in a while. :idea:

That plan seems sound to me :hungry:

We used to score hams in a diamond pattern at this BBQ restaurant I worked at - we'd stick cloves in the center of each diamond. We'd glaze with a mixture of pineapple juice, butter, and brown sugar. Great stuff.

I haven't been doing it at home 'cause I've been using a pepper rind ham and I've had good luck with just sticking it in the cooker and letting it be. I may try the scoring thing next time - haven't thought about it in a while. :idea:

I do the same thing but my glaze is brown sugar, maple syrup, cayanne pepper, and a bit of Jack Daniels to thin it down a touch. I've also been known to add some dry mustard into the glaze.

I've been thinking about this an have come to the conclusion that in the last 11 months I've double smoked about 150 pounds of ham and the year isn't over!

^^^that's almost like a pig candy glaze type deal - sounds fanfarkingtastic! :clap2:

It's more than ok to smoke a smoked ham - around my house, it's mandatory on Thanksgiving!
Apparently there's a great recipe called "Dr. Chicken's Double Smoked Ham" around here somewhere - I've never tried it myself, but people rave about it.

I did this for Thanksgiving. Scored it as it called for in the recipe. Major kudos were given by the picky inlaws...

Back