First attempt at Tri Tip (Lots-o-Pr0n)

colonel00

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
So, I have been wanting to cook a tri tip for quite a while now. Unfortunately, I could never find any in my area (aside from hitting the higher end butcher shops and paying extra). Well, last weekend I was out in Colby, KS hunting the elusive wild SPAM. We ended up with a mess of pheasants but could never get a clean shot at the ninja-like SPAM. However, do my delight, on a trip to the local Walmart for supplies (read: Beer) I cruised by the meat section and found they had tri tips. :clap2: I was stoked and grabbed a couple to bring home. Of course, upon my return I checked my local Wally World and they too now carry them. Oh well, no harm done.

So anyway, I decided to cook one up today for the current Throwdown. The theme is to cook for bigabyte as a thank you for all of his work in moderating the Throwdowns and wrangling all of us farkers that constantly cause problems and make things more confusing than the special rules ever could. Hopefully the following will appease Mr. Byte.

I started out with the smaller of the two roasts that I picked up. After all, it isn't the size of your meat that matters, or at least I am told.

IMAG0783.jpg

I hit it with a light dusting of Bovine Bold and then a liberal coating of The Rub Co's Santa Maria Rub (Thanks again to Marty Leach for hooking me up with that).

IMAG0784.jpg

IMAG0787.jpg

Then onto the UDS running somewhere between 200* and 300*. Most of the time it was around 225-250* I think. I wasn't really paying too much attention as my Jayhawks were actually giving some effort in the football game today against the mutigers.

IMAG0789.jpg

It cruised along for a while until it was approaching 120* IT.

IMAG0790.jpg

Since it was chilly and windy out I decided to just use my SJG to finish it off. So, I lit some coals and let it get nice and hot.

IMAG0791.jpg

IMAG0793.jpg

Then on when the tri tip for a quick sear. The IT had crept a bit over 120* but overall I think the temp in the meat was still fine.

IMAG0795.jpg

IMAG0797.jpg

A few minutes on each side gave it a good crust and got the IT up a medium rare range. I then pulled the roast and let it rest for a while while I whipped up some sides.

IMAG0799.jpg

IMAG0801.jpg

With some simple sides ready to go it was time to slice this beast up and see how I did.

DSCN1245.jpg

DSCN1246.jpg

IMAG0805.jpg

Then it was plated up with some seasoned mashed potatoes and some cream corn.

DSCN1254.jpg

DSCN1259.jpg

It was great! It didn't last long and I am looking forward to the Leftovers :thumb:.

IMAG0807.jpg

(Sorry for the blurry pics and iffy lighting. I definitely need a new camera.)

Looks great.

Since most places in KS don't sell tri tip, I wonder what they do with it?

Is it normally just ground up into hamburger?

Looks great.

Since most places in KS don't sell tri tip, I wonder what they do with it?

Is it normally just ground up into hamburger?

Not really sure. I would guess that it is cut into steaks or ground.

Well, if Mr. Byte doesn't like that I'll have his servings! Nice job!

Tri-Tip is another fav of mine. Yours looked great!

I believe this was a Tri Tip Roast I did a couple of weeks ago.
RoastBeef.jpg

By the way what is a mut-iger?:becky:

Tis a long story but I will try to sum it up. A buddy of mine form college was from St. Louis. He ended up living in Boston for a bit and met what would be his wife there. At one point they came back to St. Louis and went down to the Lake of the Ozarks for a weekend. Along the trip, she (being from Boston only) finally asked "what are the mutigers?" Confused, my buddy asked what she meant. She replied, "I keep seeing billboards that say MUTIGERS.COM". Obviously this was for the MU Tigers but she didn't know. Thus, from that day forward, the University of Misery (pronounced Mizzourah by the sad folks of said region) are dubbed Mutigers. Should you want to go a bit farther, it is almost like being called a muggle or whatever from Harry Potter.

Back