MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
Hozman
Take a breath!

Question Turkey popper thermometer

At what temp are those little red tops supposed to go up?

Turkey legs seemed a little tough but moist (read 190*) and breast looked to me like it could have cooked a little longer (170*) but again was moist and had great flavor.

So with that does anybody just wait till the red popper goes up like if you were baking in oven?

Old 11-24-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozman View Post

Turkey legs seemed a little tough but moist (read 190*) and breast looked to me like it could have cooked a little longer (170*) but again was moist and had great flavor.

So with that does anybody just wait till the red popper goes up like if you were baking in oven?

Throw them little red tops away.... Useless

I take my brined birds off at 180 at breast breast moist and done. I use the legs for soup thighs for dark meat.

Everybody has their own way/method.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozman View Post

forget the red therm for a minute...

based on the temps you seem to have taken and you still considering them potentially not cooked enough, are you sure your thermometer is reading accurately ?
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
Hozman
Take a breath!

Very accurate. Was using two mavericks for constant monitoring and thermapen for spot checks.

Maybe just me. I have cooked 6 turkeys in 2 days 5 of which went to different people today and they all called and said they were great, a couple saying best turkey ever eaten. Maybe just me being to critical of my own food. I know the more I cook the more critical I get of my own stuff.

Also first turkey I have never brined so could be it as well.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:49 PM   #5
BlueHowler
is one Smokin' Farker

Never use the red plastic pop up thingy. Use a trusted digital temperature gauge.

What if the plastic thing is defective and does not pop up? Your turkey will be way over cooked. The one I did today I cooked until the breast temp was 170º and the thigh was 180º. The bird was delicious and out of two birds cooked (one by my sister in law) mine was devoured and half of the other one was left over.

She cooked by time not temp and hers was over cooked and dry.
BlueHowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2011, 08:57 PM   #6
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/c...ed_turkey.html

scroll down to almost halfway down and on the right hand side and there's a paragraph or two about those popup timers.
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I dunno about the little pop up thingy. I had one in my turkey today and it had not gone up as I was pulling it at 180 breast. Scared the cr$p out of me when I was leaning forward to pick up the turkey and it popped out. I am guessing must be around 180 +/- ?

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2011, 11:52 PM   #8
BigBobBQ
Babbling Farker

I agree I think they pop at around 180 and when I use to cook by them my bird was always over cooked and dry so I just pull it out and use my wireless thermometer to around 167 and they come out tender and juicy after carryover while resting.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:58 PM   #9
viper1
On the road to being a farker

We always throw them out. When the wife cooks in oven we like it falling from the bone. When smoking done when its all over 165 -170.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
viper1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2011, 04:58 AM   #10
New Pal Frank
is one Smokin' Farker

It is my experience in the many years i had cooked before getting info here, that the exact time the red thingy pops up is when all the moisture has cooked out of the bird and it is ready to go in the trash can. Super accurate and super fast blue thermapen pulls turkey at 165 in the breast. First thing i do when I start cleaning the bird is pull that popup thingy out and throw away.
New Pal Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #11
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I always take it out before prepping the bird. This year when I took it out it tore the skin and as I cooked the bird the skin just peeled away from the tear in the breast, until almost the whole top of the bird was skinless, not my best looking turkey.

Next time I cook a bird I will leave the darn thing in and just ignore it until its done, it may be interesting to see just how far off it is from my gauge.
Dave

Old 11-29-2011, 08:46 PM   #12
viper1

Couldn't believe I saw they sell those stupid pop ups for turkey in the store here. Just think if I washed all I've thrown away and sold them id be rich.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:54 PM   #13
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
Throw them little red tops away.... Useless

I take my brined birds off at 180 at breast breast moist and done. I use the legs for soup thighs for dark meat.

Everybody has their own way/method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
I dunno about the little pop up thingy. I had one in my turkey today and it had not gone up as I was pulling it at 180 breast. Scared the cr$p out of me when I was leaning forward to pick up the turkey and it popped out. I am guessing must be around 180 +/- ?
180 breast? Really guys?
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2011, 09:05 PM   #14
viper1

Not me as long as every thing is 160-165 its done. No. Dry bird for me.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:21 AM   #15
ibait2fish
Full Fledged Farker

Pull and toss the thing as soon as you unwrap the bird..no point in fussing with it more
than necessary.
Old fridge
Busted gas grill
Blows a greasy sax
ibait2fish is offline   Reply With Quote