Rib membrane: Off or Not?

sandiegobbq

is one Smokin' Farker
I have seen some that keep it on its entirety such as John Willingham.

http://www.cookingnook.com/baby-back-ribs.html

Others I have them keep the membrane on but they score it in cross hatches with a knife.

Most people take it off.

The membrane on crowd thinks this keeps the moisture in.

I have had it all three ways and honestly I am happy with all three methods.

In most asian restaurants they don't remove the membrane and some turn out some very good ribs.

I like mine a little more tender though than the asian variety.

I think some just take off the membrane because they think it is the thing to do when maybe they never tried the other two methods.

Open mindedness rears its ugly head again? lol

If you are competing - I think you'll be penalized if you leave the membrane on. Judges don't like anything chewy!

As far as eating them at home - I can't tell much difference between leaving it on or taking it off.

If you are competing - I think you'll be penalized if you leave the membrane on. Judges don't like anything chewy!

As far as eating them at home - I can't tell much difference between leaving it on or taking it off.

Maybe that has changed since I believe that John WIllingham won many bbq contests leaving the membrane on.

I can't see the benefit of leaving it on, and it takes 30 seconds to remove it. I don't have a problem with keeping my ribs moist, and on the other hand, spices and smoke won't penetrate it, it's chewy and generally unpleasant to eat imo.

For me, off. But, the next questions is off before cooking or after? I've heard arguments for leaving it on to help retain moisture and removing it before serving. I haven't done any tests to see if it makes a difference.

For me, off. But, the next questions is off before cooking or after? I've heard arguments for leaving it on to help retain moisture and removing it before serving. I haven't done any tests to see if it makes a difference.

Now that is a 4th method that I have not yet tested.

I used to not bother taking it off, but started doing it this year, and now I won't make ribs without removing it. The only caveat there, is if I have a particularly troublesome rack that I just can't seem to get the membrane off, then i just leave it, if I am just cooking for family or friends.

For the way I like to cook ribs nowadays at 275F, I prefer the membrane removed. However, when I used to cook them lo & slo for at least 6 hours I didn't mind them with the membrane on.

To me, spares with the membrane on cooked H&F seem to retain too much fat under the membrane for my taste.

As far as comps go, everytime my table has judged a box of ribs with the membrane on at least one judge at the table has complained about it.

I've had one stubborn rack of ribs where it wouldn't come off, so I chose to take a filet knife and slice through the membrane between each bone. It turned out just as good as all the removed ribs I've cooked.

For comps, it may not be the best choice, but slicing between the bones, or poking between bones with a sharp fork will allow some smoke and spice to penetrate.

When I do high heat ribs on the kettle I sear the ribs at the end of the cook and that burns off the membrane. Otherwise, on low and slow cooks I'll try to take them off.

Last weekend i did 2 full racks spares on UDS, no foil, no spritz..lotsa Moosehead....low and slow

1 membrane was removed and other scored...couldnt tell the difference and my buddies, would have pointed out ANY flaw, due to their disbelief I was cookin in an old drum...heheh

It's all about personal preference.
If you think it's better with the membrane off...then take it off.
If it doesn't matter....then leave it on.

It's the same kind of question like......Who makes the best Truck?
Dodge, Chevy, Ford, or someone else.

Or....Which is the best Football team?
Just go with what you like; and don't worry about what other people think.

Back