MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
pigout sc
On the road to being a farker

Default WSM Owners

I am considering buying the 18.5 on sale at HomeDepot for $224. I have heard they are great at maintaining temps with minimal supervision. On average, how long will it go on a load of fuel? How big a hassle is cleanup. I love to smoke brisket and as you all know it can be a chore on a chargriller offset. Thanks
pigout sc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigout sc View Post
I am considering buying the 18.5 on sale at HomeDepot for $224.
That's a good deal on a new WSM.
Quote:
I have heard they are great at maintaining temps with minimal supervision. On average, how long will it go on a load of fuel?
Depends on how you use it and the conditions, but I read a post recently where someone had a WSM still at 200 degrees after 26 hours. Now, I've never gotten that kind of performance, but I have gotten 16 hours without adding fuel.
Quote:
How big a hassle is cleanup.
Again, depends how you use it. Foil the water pan before you cook and it's pretty easy. Let the rendered fat cool in the pan, take the fat and foil out and toss it. Shake the ashes off your coals, scrape down the sides of the charcoal bowl and dump your ashes. Grates clean just like any other grate.
It's a WSM after all, not a Saturn V.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
Smoked
Full Fledged Farker

At $224, the 18.5 WSM is a great deal. Buy it!!!

I've loaded my ring for a pork shoulder, filled the water pan, and have gone 15 hours without having to reload. After the smoke, I opened the vents (water was gone in the pan) and it shot up to 300+* and stayed for another couple hours. Cleanup is not a big deal, just line your pan with foil, and instead of water, you can use a clay saucer, sand, etc., but I prefer water. It takes a few more minutes of cleanup, big deal.

A full packer brisket is going to be tough at first on an 18.5. You will have to tuck the ends under the handles of the grate, if it's even that short. The 22.5 WSM will handle one no problem, but that's not on sale. But I think for another $100, you can get a 22.5 WSM from Amazon, which is a great deal too.

The first couple smokes, it will burn hot until it gets some seasoning and you might have to fiddle with the lower vents more. But once the seasoning is there, it's like setting cruise control.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

if you've got 224 extra, buy it. you will not be disappointed.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2011, 07:49 PM   #5
J'ville Grill
is Blowin Smoke!

When I cooked my last brisket on my 18.5 wsm I made one adjustment to the vents and it cruised along till it was done. I had the water pan lined with foil so clean up was a breeze. Same thing for doing Boston butts, easy to maintain.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked View Post

A full packer brisket is going to be tough at first on an 18.5. You will have to tuck the ends under the handles of the grate, if it's even that short.
You can drape the brisket over a rib rack or steel bowl. That will raise the middle and make it shorter overall. then, once the brisket has shrunk enough you can remove the rack or bowl.

WATCH THIS SPACE!!! BBQ Brethren Chicago Area Picnic Planning Starting Soon

Naked Fatties Rock!

4x Hunsaker Cans/PK360 X 2/Campchef FTG600/Southern Q Limo Elite/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

The WSM is probably the best value for the money of any dedicated commercial smoker in my opinion. You won't regret it.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #8
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

I been eyeballing one of those myself! I work a twelve hour shift, alone, at night, and / or on the weekend, and I'm thinkin' to myself, "self, you could do a lot of experimenting with your 'que here at work if you just had one of those WSM 18.5"ers!" Yeah, when you work 12 hour shifts, alone, at night, and / or on the weekends, you tend to talk to yourself a lot... At any rate, it would be cool to have one of those!
[B]WSM 18.5[/B]
[B]Weber One-Touch Gold [/B]
[B]Smokey Joe Silver[/B]
The Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I am considering buying the 18.5 on sale at HomeDepot for $224. I have heard they are great at maintaining temps with minimal supervision. On average, how long will it go on a load of fuel? How big a hassle is cleanup. I love to smoke brisket and as you all know it can be a chore on a chargriller offset. Thanks
Our local Home Depot doesn't even STOCK them! Damn them!
[B]WSM 18.5[/B]
[B]Weber One-Touch Gold [/B]
[B]Smokey Joe Silver[/B]
The Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #10
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

For $224, don't buy one.

Buy TWO.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #11
Frankbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

WSM's are great. They will run out of water in the pan before fuel. Many comps have been won with a WSM.
Frankbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2011, 09:40 PM   #12
J'ville Grill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearcd View Post
Our local Home Depot doesn't even STOCK them! Damn them!
Go online and check all the HD's in your area. Here in Jax for example the HD closest to my house doesn't stock them, but another a few more miles away does.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:57 PM   #13
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

I have the 18.5 also. If you use the minion method and go with a full load of kingsford blue, you will easily get 16 hours cooking at 250° or below. Your time will shorten if you cook hotter, but I'm not sure how much because I have never run mine much hotter than that for any length of time.
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2011, 11:00 PM   #14
tbone310
Got Wood.

I'm loving my 22.5. Did two briskets (one choice, one wagu) this weekend and they turned out great. Cooked to 150, foiled and cooked to 193. Rested them for 3 hours in a cooler.

Get a remote thermometer and your off. Good luck

Santa Maria Grill-60" X 20"
Weber 22' WSM
Weber 18"
Weber 26"
tbone310 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #15
nexpress
Full Fledged Farker

I bought a used 1 and fired it up for the first time on Saturday. Filled the charcoal ring about halfway then used the minion method when lighting it. It ran for a sold 6 hours @ 275. No problems at all.
nexpress is offline   Reply With Quote