Lower End Competitions

twinsfan

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I've been doing this for several years, and keep getting better. All you can ask. I've gotten a little curious about wanting to see how my cooking stands up/measures.

Now, in a decade or two, I guess, I could contemplate KCBS, but right now i totally, totally, totally lack enough skill.

I'm wondering in the next few years with a license coming if there are lower level competitions besides KCBS.

I doubt there's anything up north but I'm talking about town festivals, etc. I feel like with my family's experience and since I've been doing this for several years now I feel like I've reached a new step and never really received educated feedback with places I need to improve... and I just need to mark how I'm progressing.

Hope y'all understand. :-D

You are more than likely ain't gonna win your very first contest. Might as well jump in and do a KCBS contest. Competition in BBQ is a lot more than just winning or wanting to place good when you start, it's about learning the game and having a great time.

agree with podge...but, for a first, very freindly, amateur comp., try manns orchards in the spring.

great guys and they treat the teams well. a nice forray into the sport.

I agree with jumping into a few competitions. That is what we did and are improving each time. What do you mean by a license coming? Like getting a food license?

Man, $250 entries are insane though. That's too steep for me ATM. Ehhhh can Bobby Flay come to town? :grin:

$250 is tough for someone your age, but you may be surprised at the people and/or businesses that may be willing to help out. I wish I could get my teenagers interested. My youngest is 15 and she does take some interest, but the whole getting up at 4am just doesn't jive with her.

There are many local comps around that may just do ribs. We have a few here in East TN and the entry fees usually run anywhere from $50 up. One that is close by requires you to cook enough ribs for like up to 100 people to try one rib and you get a ticket in return and you get so much cash for each ticket when you turn them in. They also give out trophies and cash prizes. I am friends with the guy that won it last year and he cleared $750 after award and turning tickets in.

Good luck in any comp you decide to do!

Why don't you find a team that needs some help and work for them? I bet there are some teams in your area that would love to have you as a team member.

split costs! get three team mates and each take a catagory, then rotate catagorys each time so you can see how you do at what.

I agree with the rest. Just do it.
You should be able to find some cheeper than $250 be if not, do it anyway. You most likley won't win your first comp, of next 80 for that matter, but you will have a great time.

Small-time non-sanctioned contests can "set the hook" and give you competition fever. But the problem that I have seen, which may not be everbody's experience, is that these small contests are being judged by folks like the Mayor, Police chief, Fire Chief, and the head of the PTA. I'm not say there is anything wrong with these folks in general, but they don't know competition BBQ. Boiled, falling-off-the-bone ribs with SBR is there idea of good. Turn that in for a KCBS and that ain't working. So while the small venues give you some practice, which is never a bad thing, and get you interested in competing, once you switch to a KCBS sanctioned comp there is a rude awakening. I'm speaking from experience.

Thanks all! I'll look for a team or a cheaper event. Unfortunately we aren't the capital of BBQ! :-D I'd be more interested to do a comp or two to see how good/bad I am and then head back to the drawing board and work some more

Please dont confuse competition food with good bbq....

Its fun and the people are great, but its not the thing to do to find out if your bbq is good or bad..

Comp cooking for me it not the same as good eating q people like..

Just my .02

Thanks all! I'll look for a team or a cheaper event. Unfortunately we aren't the capital of BBQ! :-D I'd be more interested to do a comp or two to see how good/bad I am and then head back to the drawing board and work some more
OR - here's a thought for you - contact the people who do put on one of the few contests in the area and see what they can tell you about putting on a competition of your own. Especially if you keep it a non-sanctioned contest and promote it well within your community, you should be able to pull one together.

Its fun and the people are great, but its not the thing to do to find out if your bbq is good or bad..

Just my .02

i agree with that to an extent. however,

one must have a mastery of fire, meat, and flavor, to be a successful comp BBQ cook...and thus your Q, whether at home or in battle, is gonna be good.

I agree with looking for a team that is already established in the competition scene in Jersey. I believe that there may be a few on this board? How close are you to the Wildwood area? They have a comp there every year, and I believe that Jersey has a few throughout the state. This be much cheaper for you and you'll probably learn a lot more a lot faster than on your own at your own expense!

Just my .02

That would be because beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In competitions you must please (and not offend) 6 judges and still stay within the definitions prescribed by the sanctioning body. At home you can make it to your own preference; damn those other folks, and damn some sanctioning bodies definition of what is and isn't barbecue. Also know that different sanctioning bodies tend to define it a little differently. Just an example, while KCBS would define the perfect rib as bite through cleanly, MBN would define it as pull cleanly from the bone with only a little resistance. While there's only a 15-20 minute difference in the two, many people want their ribs falling off the bone if they can get 'em.

My father defines perfect barbecue as very under-cooked, tough, have to gnaw rib meat off the bone, and blacken the sauces on the outside. He also doesn't care for smoke flavor at all.
In a competition, his definition of perfect ribs would, beyond any shadow of a doubt, get DAL consistently. Interesting note: I grew up hating barbecue cooked at home, especially ribs.

For me perfection is pretty close to MBN's definition. I dont want them falling off the bone, but very close. I like them with no or only a tiny amount of sauce. Memphis ribs, if you will.
I like them a little peppery with only perhaps a slight hint of sweet. For competitions mine would be a little too spicy on the pepper and not sweet enough. My best friend likes his a little more salty and sweeter.

At competitions you have 1 chance to impress all 6 judges. You'll cook to that standard.

Back