MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
sagacious
Found some matches.

Default My UDS, two racks, 4 briskets?

So, I built a UDS some time back after reading the different setups on this site. it works outstanding but i've only attempted 1 brisket at a time. i think i can fit two briskets on one grate but has anyone attempted a two rack setup and tried maybe 4 briskets? im wondering what to expect as far as cook times and other unknowns, has anyone attempted this? did you have to swap briskets between bottom and top racks? my work is holding a BBQ benefit for disaster relief for the people that have lost their homes due to all the wildfires out here in TX and i wanted to be able to contribute. but at the moment my setup is impractical with only doing 1-2 briskets. hopefully i can successfully do more without much of a hiccup? any input is appreciated, thanks.
sagacious is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

There are a couple options. Mostly it depends on the size of briskets you are trying to cook. If you have 4 smaller packers of maybe 10lbs then they should fit fine. As you start getting bigger you might be stuffing them in. You might want to use foil to keep the meat from rubbing the sides. You will also need to rotate the grates halfway through as well. One other option is to fold them in half with the fat cap on the outside and the point down. I know I have seen people do this to cook packers on BGE's.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
DirtyDirty00
is one Smokin' Farker

ya 4 packers seems like it might be tight. then again i dont have a UDS so im not sure the size!

Wishlist:
22.5" WSM
DirtyDirty00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

I have three grates on my uds. I use the third for a water pan. I tried doing ribs and brisket without the pan and the brisket was just slightly too close to the fire. So i got a section of stringy meat. When I added the water pan... problem solved

Old 09-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #5
Hozman
Take a breath!

I have down to whole briskets on 2 shelves. Bottom was done about 90 minutes faster
Hozman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

It depends on the size of the briskets I would think you would be able to do 4 14#ders two on each rack, I would say cook them at 275* and ounce they get to 175* wrap them and put them back on the uds. Now I would let them go for another 3 to 4 hours and when whatever probe you use goes in like butter pull them off the uds and wrap them in plastic wrap and drop them in a cooler for 3 hours. I would say the whole process would take 14hours including resting them, my second rack on my uds is 4 and a half inches from my top grate and the temp is about the same as the top. I also have a pizza pan wrapped in foil on a rack about a inch from my basket it also helps to catch some of the drippings from the brisket cause there is going to be a mess in there. Where is this benefit going on and when maybe I could help?

This was a 10#butt and a 15#brisket so two 14# will fit fine

Old 09-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
hcj3rd
On the road to being a farker

I've cooked 4 briskets on my UDS no problem. THey were average weight about 13 lbs. My UDS is a 60 gallon drum so its 4" taller than a 55 gallon drum. This enabled me to double rack mine with no issues about higher heat on lower rack. I also have a pizza pan that I drilled holes in and lay on top of my charcoal basket for a heat diffuser. Good luck on your cook. Sounds like a great cause.
hcj3rd is offline   Reply With Quote