MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
borzwazie
Knows what a fatty is.

Default When last we left our intrepid hero...

He did battle with the tough, dry baby back ribs. They bested him in their first encounter, but would our hero prevail in their next meeting? Tune in next time to see!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110917_150350.jpg (57.7 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110917_150403.jpg (46.7 KB, 133 views)
borzwazie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
DirtyDirty00
is one Smokin' Farker

Those don't look dry to me! They look tasty!

Wishlist:
22.5" WSM
DirtyDirty00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
borzwazie
Knows what a fatty is.

I tried 3-2-1 with the first set of ribs. Tough, dry, nasty. So, I changed it up this time.

These were actually cooked at 300 (couldn't get drum temps down today for some reason). Went on at noon for 2 hours, foiled for 45 minutes, sauced and cooked for another half hour. Sprayed them with EVOO halfway through to keep them moist.

Tried a brine this time for kicks. Just a touch salty from the brine I used, just a touch, but otherwise wonderful.

You can pull out the bone but the meat has just the right amount of "bite" left in it. Best ribs I ever ate.

I've had so much fun learning how to actually cook meat the right way this summer. That UDS was a great investment.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
thenicksfam
On the road to being a farker

Those are crazy moist! I think if you can time them right ribs can take the heat, and it looks like you did just that!

Old 09-17-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
DirtyDirty00
is one Smokin' Farker

Wow I'm surprised at 300 they were still juicy. I use almost that exact line at 250 to get good results. I would think thats too long at 300

Now repeat the performance! It's tough to nail it every time

Wishlist:
22.5" WSM
DirtyDirty00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
borzwazie
Knows what a fatty is.

the other thing I did different today: I put the ribs on the top rack. On the bottom rack, I took a double sheet of foil, enough area to go under the ribs. I poked a bunch of holes in it.

This did a great job keeping my ribs from scorching, and still let juice drip through. Still has good smoke flavor. I'm beginning to think that I should use or make some sort of heat shield between the coals and the meat for everything.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDirty00 View Post
Wow I'm surprised at 300 they were still juicy. I use almost that exact line at 250 to get good results. I would think thats too long at 300

Now repeat the performance! It's tough to nail it every time
Cooking meat at higher temps has no affect on the dry results some people have. I'm a believer that opening up the cooker, spritzing, mopping, doodling, taking pics during cook is what helps with a dry result.

Cruising at 300 and leaving the darn lid closed will make a much better product than low and slow with all the extra peeking, mopping, spritzing, jerking around. IMO, it's all the circle jerking that opens the window for a dry result. Leave the darn thing closed, and let the pressure stay constant, that's what makes good BBQ.

Hot/fast, no diddling around is the ticket, unless you're doing comps, and are looking for a specific result. People over think this hobby too much, it's really quite simple if you let it be. But then again, there are folks who swear if they spend 18 hours cooking a 12 lb pork butt @ 225, spritzing, mopping, peeking, filling water pan, that their results are better. I don't listen to them as they've obviously never had a successful hot and fast cook. I've had plenty, and don't need all the extra work/time to make a good product.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #8
borzwazie
Knows what a fatty is.

the key here I think to hot and fast was the foiling - I still got juicy, tender meat without 6 hours of cooking. I wouldn't care to foil it too long, I think you'd end up with mush.

the indirect heat also helped, kept the meet from burning.

It's nice to know I can have great food a lot faster.