MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
smokerpete
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Roasted Injected Chickens with Black-Eyed Peas

Here's a simple Poultry Injection recipe that will expand your repertoire using items most of us have at home:

1 cup Chicken Broth (using chicken Bouillon provides ample salt)
4 Tbsp Butter
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp fine Ground Pepper

Injected the breasts, wings, legs, and thighs of two Foster Farms Chickens. Rubbed On/Under skin with Annie's Roasted Garlic EVOO and Montreal Chicken Seasoning. Covered with Plastic Wrap and placed the birds in the fridge for 4 hours.

Preheated the MAK 2 Star to 325ºF using Gourmet BBQ Hickory Pellets. Using Standard MAK Meat Probes, the 2 in the middle, and a Maverick ET-732 Meat Probe, on the right, to validate the performance of the prototype MAK M2 Armored Probe, pictured on the left.

Pulled the Chickens when their Internal Temperature hit 165ºF in the breast which put the legs and thighs at ~180ºF. Rested the Chickens under a foil tent for 20 minutes. Can you just image all that grease and drippings captured by the roasting stand sitting in the bottom of your grill?

I find that there is no great need to soak beans/peas overnight when you can use the Quick Soak method by bringing the Black-Eyed Peas to a rapid boil for 2 minutes, cover, and let stand for 1+ hour. Here's the delicious Black-Eyed Peas recipe that's sure to be a hit at your table ... even if you dislike Black-Eyed Peas like I do ... But SWMBO really loves them:

1lb bag of dried Black-Eyed Peas
8 cups Chicken Broth
Medium Onion
6-7 Celery stalks including the inner leaves if available
Red Bell Pepper
14oz can of Stewed Tomatoes
Tbsp crushed garlic or a few cloves of garlic
2 Tbsp Tomato Bouillon
Salt & Pepper to taste

Bring Black-Eyed Peas to a boil, turn down and simmer slowly for 2+ hours till Peas are tender.

The money $shot ... A scrumptious tender moist Chicken Breast, serving of Cole Slaw, half a Roasted head of garlic, and some delectable Black-Eyed Peas on a bed or rice ... Bon Appétit

Injected Chickens enhance the moisture and flavors of the chicken bringing them to new heights. There are multitudes of Injection recipes - Pick one of two, modifying it to your tastes, and experiment. You'll be pleasantly surprised and the rewards will be many!!
smokerpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-14-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
T-Man
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks great.... Good idea for this weekend !! I needed a new black eyed pea recipe.. Thanks

Old 09-14-2011, 11:01 PM   #3
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

Smoker Pete that looks awesome! I have never smoked a whole chicken this post has me thinking of smoking one this weekend. Thanks for posting!

Jon
Just Pulin' Pork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2011, 03:54 AM   #4
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice looking plate!
I need to make me some rice too!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote