Favorite way to grill a burger?

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I have always grilled my burgers over scorching heat for a short time... typically 3-4 minutes per side for a 1/2 lb patty. How do you cook yours?

I rarely grill burgers anymore. When I do med high heat about five min per side.

I like them over high heat. I read somewhere it even better to cook them on a cast iron pan rather than the grill grate. I'm making two burgers tonight, maybe I will cook one each way and see if I can tell a difference.

Very hot and fast on the Lodge grill. :thumb:
Man I love that grill more than any other grill for doing burgers.

I read somewhere it even better to cook them on a cast iron pan rather than the grill grate.

I have something like this
Square-Grill-Pan.jpg

I think its a good compromise.

Hot and done. I am one of the people that will not touch undercooked burger. I like my steak black and blue but burger that has had the surface bacteria spread everywhere in the meat must be fully cooked and clear juices flowing. Not dried out but cooked.

Flavor of course will be my favorite oakridge either comp beef/pork or their ap gamebird and chicken. I have not used the Santa Maria in burgers yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like a little smoke flavor in my burgers, so I do mine indirect for about 10 mins with a little smoke, then a super hot sear. Works great on 80/20.

I cook them on very high heat for 2 to 3 minutes per side and then indirect cook them for about 10 minutes until done( medium).

Big and fat - half pound patties using 80% ground beef. Using my BGE, I'll cook them at ~450 indirect until they reach 130 degrees. Fairly idiot proof! :)

Hot and done. I am one of the people that will not touch undercooked burger. I like my steak black and blue but burger that has had the surface bacteria spread everywhere in the meat must be fully cooked and clear juices flowing. Not dried out but cooked.

Flavor of course will be my favorite oakridge either comp beef/pork or their ap gamebird and chicken. I have not used the Santa Maria in burgers yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little tip... mix some Santa Maria rub in the burger and put the Competition Beef & Pork rub on the outside... Wowser! :thumb:

I get my gasser up to 500 deg with grill grates (link below) on. My guess is that on the grill grates it is pushing 650 deg. 2-3 minutes, turn 90 degres, 2 more min per side with 80/20 ground beef. Usually half pounders.

Sometimes I will do "dinner burgers" inside on my cast iron skillet. Get the temp up to a scorching high heat, little bit of veggie oil and smash the burger into the hot skillet. 2 minutes max per side. Burger should be no more than quarter pounder with salt and pepper on it. Serve immediately on a potato roll with lettuce, tomato, jalapeno.

http://www.grillgrate.com/

Get a cast iron pan on the grill, do them for about a minute per side on the grill then finish them in the cast iron pan. They will cook in their own fat and re-absorb it, as opposed to it just drip out onto the coals. I always did mine hot and fast until I read this method in Adam Perry Langs 'Serious BBQ', and have done them this was since. He recommends using 73/27 beef. if you like them greasy and juicy give this a try. I think I remember a pic from you a while back that yoiu have a cast iron pan or branding pan, etc, correct?

i do mine on the grill. nice n hot.

however i did throw one on my smoker once. left em on there a bit. came out real smokey. wasnt bad! just not really a 'burger' was like a piece of smoked 'meat' on a bun.

Get a cast iron pan on the grill, do them for about a minute per side on the grill then finish them in the cast iron pan. They will cook in their own fat and re-absorb it, as opposed to it just drip out onto the coals. I always did mine hot and fast until I read this method in Adam Perry Langs 'Serious BBQ', and have done them this was since. He recommends using 73/27 beef. if you like them greasy and juicy give this a try. I think I remember a pic from you a while back that yoiu have a cast iron pan or branding pan, etc, correct?

I have quite a few cast iron pans. I have one that has the grill surface in the bottom as well. Should I try this with a flat pan or the ribbed one?

Back