MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
Sam_Wheat
Got Wood.

Default Rotisserie chicken... Help!

So the family wants me to cook one today. It's 11:22am is it too late for dinner? Please help with ingredients and tips. I have the kettle rotisserie. How long does it need to cook for?
Sam_Wheat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
tamadrummer
is one Smokin' Farker

Needs to cook till 180 degrees in the thigh/breast meat.

Ingredients: montreal chicken rub by McCormick's will make a killer chicken! That or some Zatarain's creole seasoning or Tony Chachere's. I would also think about putting some butter under the skin after you season it up to make it nice and crispy when it comes out.
tamadrummer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Set up the kettle for indirect (lit charcoal piles on each side) with a drip pan in the middle. That should give you a temp around 350. the actual time depends on the bird, but at 350 a 3-4 lb. bird should be done in 60 - 90 minutes, may up to two hours. You're looking for 155 in the breast and 165 in the thigh. You can put a bag of ice on the breast for 30 minutes or so before cooking. That way the breast will start out colder than the thighs and the two should be done close to each other.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-11-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker

Ron, never heard that ice tip, that's farking genious!

Old 09-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Ron said it all!
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
mbshop
Babbling Farker

yea, i love the iced breast method. i use only birds that weigh 3lb's. i cook the brest till it gets to 160 deg and they always come out great.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
tamadrummer
is one Smokin' Farker

To eat poultry safely you have to take it to 180 minimum. Does the carryover take it far enough? I have never heard of icing a bird while cooking. Educate me please, prOn of the iced birdy would probably even be better for all us NoooooOoOOObs that haven't seen these tricks.
tamadrummer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
Sam_Wheat
Got Wood.

I believe he meant ice Approximately 30 min before the cook. Thanks for the help! Much appreciated.

Paul
Sam_Wheat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #9
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

You could brine the bird with 1/4 cup salt, 1/4 cup sugar mixed into a gallon of water (make sure the water is cold for safety - maybe put some ice in) - throw a little of whatever rub you're using in there too. Brine it for a couple hours (in the fridge!), then pat dry and let the bird sit in the fridge uncovered for an hour. If you don't have that much time, just get as close as you can. If you don't have time to wet brine, then hit that bird with either seasoned salt, or kosher (or sea) salt and let sit uncovered in the fridge for an hour or 2. Then cook - Ron's got ya covered on that. I'm a 165 guy myself - but I usually run over that 'cause I'm lazy and disorganized - but it does turn out good!

What brining the bird will do is make it more tender, juicy, and more flavorful. Also the bird will be more forgiving if you take it a little too hot.

Bottom line is - you're not too late by any means. Backtime 1 1/2 or 2 hours from dinner, having the bird rest a little (loosely tented) is a good thing.

Good luck!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2011, 03:00 PM   #10
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrummer View Post
To eat poultry safely you have to take it to 180 minimum. Does the carryover take it far enough?
That's actually outdated information. Here is the latest safe minimum cooking temperatures from foodsafety.gov...

http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/mintemp.html

Poultry minimum is 165.

As far as icing the breast, I first learned about it from the Mad Max turkey recipe on the Naked Whiz web site...

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/

Old 09-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #11
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Wheat View Post
I believe he meant ice Approximately 30 min before the cook. Thanks for the help! Much appreciated.

Paul
Yes. I did say before cooking. See below (emphasis added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Set up the kettle for indirect (lit charcoal piles on each side) with a drip pan in the middle. That should give you a temp around 350. the actual time depends on the bird, but at 350 a 3-4 lb. bird should be done in 60 - 90 minutes, may up to two hours. You're looking for 155 in the breast and 165 in the thigh. You can put a bag of ice on the breast for 30 minutes or so before cooking. That way the breast will start out colder than the thighs and the two should be done close to each other.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/

Old 09-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #12
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I cook poultry to 150-160 range all of the time, never a problem. I buy good poultry from a safe source and have not seen any issues. Keeping the ice bag in place on the rotuisserie, now that would be problematic

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-11-2011, 03:13 PM   #13
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Ron said it all. You have more than enough time to get it done for dinner. You could also spatch it and save on the time having to put it on the rotiss.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #14
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
Ron said it all. You have more than enough time to get it done for dinner. You could also spatch it and save on the time having to put it on the rotiss.
I was going to suggest that, but since his wife wanted rotisserie I didn't want to cause marital strife

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-11-2011, 03:22 PM   #15
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I was going to suggest that, but since his wife wanted rotisserie I didn't want to cause marital strife
True dat!
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote