MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #1
snyper77
Full Fledged Farker

Default Newbie here - Questions about wood

I'm in northeast Alabama. There are LOTS of trees down due to recent tornadoes and tropical storms. I have people offering me oak and hickory. I've already accumulated 2 chevy truck loads of hickory.

1. Should I get some oak also?
  2. Should I always mix oak (70%) with hickory (30%) or would the hickory be overbearing if I use it 100%?
I'm definitely going to get pecan and fruit wood if it's offered.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I'd say get whatever you can if it's free and create yourself a nice stockpile of dried woods to use.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
jimithing78
Full Fledged Farker

Depends on what you like to cook. I like oak and pecan for brisket. I use hickory for pork and sometimes for chicken. Hickory is definitely a strong wood, a little goes a long way for me. Never hurts to get some while you can though. If you end up not liking the taste of a certain wood you can always give it away free on craigslist.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:13 PM   #4
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

I like to mix oak and hickory at about 80% oak and 20% hickory. Works really well. Don't pass up oak. It's also good by itself. So, yes, go for it!

Use oak for heat and hickory for smoke. But, oak for heat and smoke works good too.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:53 AM   #5
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Oak is especially good for beef.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2011, 02:03 AM   #6
gtr

I wish I had a situation like that! Oak is great. Hickory is my go-to, but I love 'em all. As mentioned already, I tend to go for the oak when doing beef. If I'm worrying about hitting the grub too hard with smoke, I'll start using apple or just even some lump. I've been loving pecan with chicken lately.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2011, 02:24 AM   #7
tmehlhorn
Full Fledged Farker

Oak is one of the best woods for bbq. It burns hot and long, has a nice mild smoke to it mixed with the hickory would be excellent

Old 09-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #8
posey's_pork_pit
is one Smokin' Farker

Yes.......yes........and yes!

Smokey Joe Silver w/wooden handle a.k.a. Mini Me, Weber Smokey Joe Platinum date code ER

Sipsey: Secret's in the sauce.
posey's_pork_pit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2011, 07:04 AM   #9
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

I would get as many varieties as you can and stockpile them- or participate in the brethren exchange.
I have a 10' long row of split wood beside my smoker and I chunk it as I need. I have cherry, oak,apple, hickory, maple and pear. My hickory is local(rare) and not near as strong a smoke flavor as your southern hickory. I really enjoy the taste and smell of southern hickory and the power of your mesquite wood. and pecan.... ummm!

My point is that its good to have a nice variety on hand so you can cook to your groceries or to your guests. When its just us guys, they all love the heavy smoke. For the girls I will use the lighter smoking fruit woods.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2011, 08:14 AM   #10
Turky1
Knows what a fatty is.

Sounds like you hit the jackpot. You can use either 100% oak or 100% hickory, and it won't be overpowering. Mix them if you like, it's purely a matter of taste. For most people hickory works well on everything. Oak is usually associated with beef, I think mainly because of a texas connection, and it's pretty pungent. No rules though. Have fun.

T
Turky1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #11
deguerre

I'm originally from North central Alabama and hickory is my favorite smoking wood, just by itself for pork. I hadn't used oak until a few years ago but MAN what it does to beef! Grab both while you can!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #12
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

I use pecan all the time & love it.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #13
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker

Grab some hickory, cut it up, and send me some chunks of Alabaman hickory

Old 09-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #14
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Both are just fine if your smoke is burning sweet, but I'd prefer the straight hickory for only pork butts. We smoked a bunch of leg quarters last weekend with nothing but oak and the flavor was incredible, so it does great by itself with yardbird, just like beef. Also I'll second or third the hickory/oak combo that works on anything.

Be sure to use bricks to keep the wood off the ground and it'll be good for quite a while.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #15
btcg
Babbling Farker

Pecan is unusable, and dangerous to handle. Send it to me and I'll get rid of it for you. PM me and I'll give you my address.