MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
2BruthasBBQ
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Competition Chicken

The chicken I make for friends and family is damn good but will not win a competition. My skin is very dark. It actually turns some people off before the taste it. Chewy skin grosses me out.

Watching BBQ Pitmasters, I'm seeing these nice caramel brown colored skin on these thighs. How are they doing that? I have a competition coming up next weekend and I want to do well in Chicken.
2BruthasBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

maybe too late bro. need ALOT of time to practice chicken.

run what ya brung...and do some searches here for next time. practice what you find and post results. we'll guide you from there.

but, to answer, some scrape the fat off the skin, some braise in a liquid to melt the fat in a skin...some do both, some may do neither...some cook very hot.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2011, 11:03 PM   #3
Balls Casten
is One Chatty Farker

Pretty easy but you need, if you are going to present skin, bite thru skin.
I do a lot of labor (scraping skin) to achieve that. Some can achieve that with out scraping sking.

Everyone wants to know how to get competition meat without doing the work …. Its not easy. Do the work and you will reap the rewards.