MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
hogzgonewild
Full Fledged Farker

Default Cherokee Pignic (Cherokee County, GA)

Just signed up for my first competition at the Cherokee Pignic on Oct. 14th and 15th. I know a few of you guys are going to be there so give me a shout out! This site has been awesome for learning those tips and tricks for the competition circuits.

Thanks to everyone!

JT
HOGZGONEWILD
hogzgonewild is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

How did I miss seeing this one? I'm doing the one in Helen the following weekend. Might have to see if they still have spots open. Thanks for the info.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Wer're always at the Canton show. We usually set up along the river, about half way down the line.

Gowan Fenley
Johnny Mitchell's Smokehouse
Euharlee, GA
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #4
colberto
Got Wood.

We'll be there, man.

The Pig Lebowski
Cumming, GA

Old 09-09-2011, 06:43 AM   #5
hogzgonewild
Full Fledged Farker

Pig Lebowski - Got to say I love the get-up you guys wear.

CivilWarBBQ - Are the spots first come first serve? I was planning on setting up on Friday but I might head up there on Thursday to get a spot on the river.

Thanks guys,
JT

Old 09-15-2011, 06:58 AM   #6
G2
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Hogz-

Just noticed that you are from Douglasville...same here! My team has done 2 comps this year and will be doing the Lake Oconee comp next weekend.

I'll send you a PM with my contact info if you want to get together for a beer to talk about what to expect at your first comp.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:42 PM   #7
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogzgonewild View Post
Pig Lebowski - Got to say I love the get-up you guys wear.

CivilWarBBQ - Are the spots first come first serve? I was planning on setting up on Friday but I might head up there on Thursday to get a spot on the river.

Thanks guys,
JT
In previous years the pro teams have been arranged in a long line along the river (there is a tree line there so it doesn't really seem like a riverside camp). Across from the pros is a wide access path/road and then the rest of festival setup, including the backyard teams.

All the sites are on grass, and are shaped like shoeboxes, with the short side facing front and the back against the river. Utilities are strung across the front and you may need long cords/hoses depending on how far you end up from the taps which are spread fairly widely.

As at most comps, they try to assign spaces but teams who show up early/have a giant rig/or are just obnoxious usually set up where they want to.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:30 AM   #8
Curly Tails
Got Wood.

Scheduled for the contest also, but have not seen the team name on the list as of last week.
Curly Tails is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #9
MURSEH8R
Got rid of the matchlight.

I'm not cooking but I am trying to judge this one it's right up the road from my house and I have nothing better to do. Either way I'll be there if anyone needs any help let me know I will be more than happy to help out if I don't get a judging spot.
MURSEH8R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #10
ryano34
Got rid of the matchlight.

I'm new to this forum, but the Bama Butt Doctors will be there! Always enjoy doing this event!
ryano34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2011, 01:47 PM   #11
hogzgonewild
Full Fledged Farker

Can't wait to meet you guys, feel free to come by anytime. We are going to put a pot of boiled peanuts out, so come by and grab some. One thing I noticed on the packet we received is that it says DO NOT open meat before contest. I contacted the organizer to see if this is going to prohibit me from trimming chicken at home, and I referenced the thread that I started on here about a month ago. She is suppose to get back to me today, and I'll let you guys know what I find out!

Thanks,
Hogzgonewild

Old 10-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #12
CaptTable
Full Fledged Farker

You CAN remove the meat from the package to trim. Just NO SEASONING in any way, form or fashion.

Phillip
CaptTable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #13
hogzgonewild
Full Fledged Farker

I knew that was KCBS rules, but on in our team package, it said do not remove your meat. I just got this back from the promoter

Heard back that you can trim but not season the meat in any way. I’m sorry for any confusion as we weren’t aware of this. Working on wording to update for next year.

See you next week.

Thanks!

Pam

So we are all good. Thanks guys!

Hogz

Old 10-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #14
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogzgonewild View Post
One thing I noticed on the packet we received is that it says DO NOT open meat before contest. I contacted the organizer to see if this is going to prohibit me from trimming chicken at home, and I referenced the thread that I started on here about a month ago. She is suppose to get back to me today, and I'll let you guys know what I find out!
We just ran into this at Lyons, GA this weekend. It seems that KCBS is now sending a packet of documents to organizers when their event is sanctioned. As someone who has run contests, I think this is a good thing. However, there was a screw-up in the "Meat Inspector's Guide" they are sending out. The document states that "all meat must be in original packaging", which is definitely NOT stated in the KCBS rules and has never been a requirement since I've been involved with KCBS back to 2005.

However, novice organizers don't know this, so they taking the document at face value and telling their meat inspectors to look for labels on all contest meat. The poor local guy at Lyons told me our chicken wasn't legal because it wasn't in the original packaging. I told him that wasn't correct and asked him to show me where that was stated in the KCBS rules. He said it was in the docs KCBS sent them and I said "Either show me that document or give me my money back and we'll turn around and go home."

The reps were consulted and we were cleared and the situation explained to all parties. I don't hold anything against the organizers as they were just trying to follow the procedures they received from Kansas City, but obviously the home office needs to update their info packet. Until then, be prepared to face this nonsense during meat inspection at KCBS events.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #15
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

Everybody needs to rest assured that the Cherokee Pignic has the best KCBS reps there is....end of discussion.
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote