Trying my first Fatty today.

khs282

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Has anyone had any trouble with the fatty falling apart when its on the grill? I ask because I had some trouble rolling it and needed a lot of toothpicks to hold it together. Should I expect any problems?

LOL,

I've only done 2 or 3. My first started as a disaster: I forgot to form it on wax paper, and it stuck on my cutting board. I had to use my forearm and slide it into a cooking tray, and the whole thing got mangled. I tried to reshape it, but it was pure damage control.

BUT: I cooked it wonderfully. Got a nice crunchy bark (it was a lasagna phatty), and my kid and his band devoured it. No leftovers.

Good luck with it. Can't wait to see the results.

do a naked fatty first dont stuff it to learn
also practice the baccon weave

I did a bacon weave and that turned out nice. I think part of my problem was flattening some jimmy dean sausage on it. Couldn't quite get that to spread over the entire bacon weave. I do have it stuffed with cheese mushrooms and onions. It is sitting in the fridge right now so it will tighten up before putting it on the grill. Hopefully that will keep it from falling apart. Next time, I will make sure the sausage isn't cold before trying to flatten. I think if it sits a room temp for an hour that may make it easier? What do you thing?

It turned out better than expected. did not fall apart and it tasted great. I will do this again. I would attach pictures if I knew how.

My brother doesn't watch and learn very well.:p He figured it out quick but my phone was blowin up all day. Now bring me some!:hungry:

Ya a Bacon weave will hold it good.

To flatten it sausage get a large ziplock. Put the sausage meat in there. Then smoosh it around and get it nice and flat and even throughout the ziplock. It'll be nice and square. Then open the ziplock and cut it open on both sides. Then u can just flip it over on your Bacon weave and peal off the ziplock. Works PERFECT. Do a weave about 8x8 or 9x9 with the Bacon strips. The sausage fits perfect.

I did a bacon weave and that turned out nice. I think part of my problem was flattening some jimmy dean sausage on it. Couldn't quite get that to spread over the entire bacon weave. I do have it stuffed with cheese mushrooms and onions. It is sitting in the fridge right now so it will tighten up before putting it on the grill. Hopefully that will keep it from falling apart. Next time, I will make sure the sausage isn't cold before trying to flatten. I think if it sits a room temp for an hour that may make it easier? What do you thing?

Yours looks tasty!!

I agree that naked fatties are good too.

Here's some pics that might help with the weave. http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2011/06/fried-potato-and-smoked-ham-fattie-on.html

Roll the fattie and fillings, then roll the weave around it instead of rolling the sausage out onto the bacon. It is easer.

Good luck with it!

Back