MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:33 AM   #1
brewerjamie15
Full Fledged Farker

Default BBQ joint type sausages. How to smoke them?

This weekend I have a few folks coming over and I'd like to smoke up some store bought pre cooked sausages. Perhaps ring bologna, maybe some links. I've been learning my UDS and this would be an inexpensive way to make some good eats and hone my skills on the new uds.

I have looked around the search engine and have not really gotten a difinitive answer just yet. Mostly you guys talking about this subject are making your own from scratch. I am just looking to nab some regular ol' sausages and drop them on the smoker.

I don't think I need to be conerned with "safe zones" because they are pre cooked, is this a correct assumption?

Pehaps an hour or a bit more is my idea I'm looking to impart a nice flavor. I can't see imparting a smoke ring into the meat because of the casing on the sausage.

Do you guys that have done this quick cook have some general suggestions for me?

(time estimates, do I need to pierce the casing, internal temp, etc)

Just looking for a couple clues here. Thanks guys.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

Most of the best sausage that I've had at a "BBQ Joint" , I suspect was slightly cured, and then smoked, and made with beef.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
Riverside BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Smoking ring bologna is excellent. If it' precooked, then correct you have no worries with "safe zones" you're just wanting to heat and get some smoke flavor in there. No need to worry about the casing, it'll still get a smokey flavor. I did some johnsville brauts one time that were outstanding. Smoked at 275 or so. Hard to screw those up you know. But they were a big hit.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Walt[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT]
Riverside BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

I'd just opt for some fresh sausages like brats or italian or hit up one of your specialty stores for some chicken sausages or other "fancy" types. Just smoke at a bit higher temp like 275 or so.

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
brewerjamie15
Full Fledged Farker

This is gonna be some good sausage. It can't help but be good because of the following:

This thread turned me into a full fledged farker.
While reviewing this thread, I turned on FOOD WARS BBQ Lockhart, Texas. Kreuz vs Smitty's.

I'm ready to forget waiting till tomorrow, I wanna do this NOW.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I routinely buy store bought smoked sausage and toss it on the cooker for a couple/few hours. Yummy stuff and always a fan favorite.

Only thing I'd suggest is to try not to puncture the casing. I try not to touch the sausage once it goes on the cooker. The fatty juice keeps it moist.

P.S. Go ahead and buy an extra pound so you can have some chef samples.

Thanks from:--->