Irene....

carpetbagger1

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm in Hampton Roads, Virginia. We may lose power for a while, which means my coffin freezer could lose everything. First a massive swamp fire, then the earthquake, more fire, and now a hurricane. Locusts and zombies to follow? The apocalypse near? For many that could be horrible... or it could be an opportunity for the greatest mass smoke of my life. We shall see.

Anybody else in the path and making plans?

Good luck man, its looking pretty scary..... What is a swamp fire?

How long do you think power will be out? Is there any dry ice in your area. Get some and put it in your freezer and don't open it.

The Great Dismal Swamp. A 100,000+ acre swamp, that's pretty dismal, and a protected area. It's peat bogs have been burning for almost two months. The fire is 4-6 feet underground in the peat moss, which makes it beyond difficult to put out. The whole region is blanketed in smoke from the fire on different days depending on which way the wind blows. The good news about the hurricane is it will hopefully provide enough rain to put the thing out. We shall see. Even if it does go out, I'll replace the fire's smoke with some pork butt smoke.

The Great Dismal Swamp. A 100,000+ acre swamp, that's pretty dismal, and a protected area. It's peat bogs have been burning for almost two months. The fire is 4-6 feet underground in the peat moss, which makes it beyond difficult to put out. The whole region is blanketed in smoke from the fire on different days depending on which way the wind blows. The good news about the hurricane is it will hopefully provide enough rain to put the thing out. We shall see. Even if it does go out, I'll replace the fire's smoke with some pork butt smoke.

Swamp fire sounds bad..... Good luck with the pork butts :thumb:

Good luck to all in the path of Irene, it's a big ugly one. Look's like it's going to hit N.C. Saturday around 2 PM.

As stated before.Buy some dry Ice and toss it in the freezer.DO NOT OPEN IT! Well at least not after you take all the good stuff out. Be safe!

Thaw everything & get your smoke on. Be the Hero and feed everybody in a 5 mile radius.
Got to take it seriously, but on the Gulf Coast in Texas, a hurricane meant the lights will be out soon... give me a beer and let's get the smoker in the garage.

I am hoping that Richmond is inland enough to avoid a lot of this. We have had trees on the house before. Prayers for everybody

Put everything you can in it and let it freeze. The more you have in it- the longer it will keep. Best stuff at the bottom. Blankets over the freezer We have gone three days without power and not lost much in the freezer.

We're getting rained on pretty hard here. Gusty winds up to about 35 mph of so.

It's supposed to get worse later in the day. They are closing bridges as I type this e-mail.

Stay safe everyone!!

I'm in Hampton Roads, Virginia. We may lose power for a while, which means my coffin freezer could lose everything. First a massive swamp fire, then the earthquake, more fire, and now a hurricane. Locusts and zombies to follow? The apocalypse near? For many that could be horrible... or it could be an opportunity for the greatest mass smoke of my life. We shall see.

Anybody else in the path and making plans?

I am a bit north of you but in the cone of uncertainty as they call it
As for precautions the 1st time this happened I was not prepared lost everything in the frigs and freezers.
The next time it happened I went out and brought a generator and then had it wired into the circuit box so I could run a pig tail off the generator and into a connection to power the house, but I did not expect the amount of rain that came and my basement flooded with 6 inches of water.
This time I have the Generator ready to go, went and picked up a 1 hp trash pump and ¾” hose at Home Depot this morning and will clean out the gutters in the morning.
If this does not work I moving to Canada
Good Luck
MP /RR

Yes, good luck to all who are going to be affected.....stay safe!!

I'm willing to bet a fully stocked freezer would last at least 3-4 days and sitll keep everything rock solid inside. When i lost power for about 24 hours when we got hit by the tornado i took some stuff from the chest freezer and put it in the fridge to keep everything cool and everything i took out 1 day later was just starting to get a little defrosted. I've already started thinking about ice and water since i have a feeling we'll be without power for a little while. You can also fill gallon freezer bags w/water and freeze for larger ice cubes to keep things frozen.

But hey, worse case senario i have charcoal for the WSM, wood for the stick burner, full propane tank for the gasser and a freezer full of meats so things will be just fine. Good luck everyone!!

When I was a kid (late 60's) we lived in Poquoson VA not far from where you are. It is in the tidal basin and peat bogs surround "Bull Island". Can't even imagine a fire in such a place.
We were living there when Hurricane Camille (yes Camille came up the coast after destroying the Gulf Coast) passed by flooding everything. Backed the James River up all the way to Richmond. Camille might have just been a tropical storm by them I don't remember, but the entire coast was flooded, boats were swamped because they weren't tied loose enough to compensate for the high storm surge. Our Chris Craft was sunk.

Hope all stays warm and dry for you. I have always loved that part of the country. I hope for the best possible outcome for you and the folks in the tide water area.

Good Luck

Well I am sitting about 15 miles from the projected land fall in Emerald Isle NC. All the grills have been moved inside, the house is shuttered, and it's rather nice with no people around. (mandatory evacuation, but I stayed). There is a generator to keep the freezers cold so I should be ok. Dry Ice does woke well if you keep it closed it can last for up to 4 days.

God speed and stay well
Lola

Back