Karma?

lionhrt

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Like most here I love to BBQ for friends and family usually I have several good sized backyarders a year I often talk with friends and family about bbqing while we eat and did my first bbq catering this year for a friend he not only paid me but also bought me a used Bandera ( that was a while ago) last week he shows up with a trunk load of peach for me to use for smoking cut to the size I had talked about during one of the bbq`s so I had him over for a brisket smoked with his peachwood (I even injected the brisket with bacon drippings and it made the best brisket I have ever made) when he showed up he brought a trunk load of Apple this is all sweet but today my niece shows up out of the blue and has the back of her Explorer filled with Maple!! dang feed the masses and they shall keep me suppied:becky:

Why is it that people like to use maple to smoke but you can't find comercial maple chips or chunks. I have access to all the maple I need (being from minnesota, I even make syrup) and I love smoking with it, but try finding it in a store.

Oak is also great for a very strong smoke but you cant imagine how many people tell me you cant smoke with oak, it's too acidic. Maybe too much for chicken, but great for beef and maybe some pork.

Just my ramblings,

tomslusher

Sounds like you have it made there. I love it when you do something like that and the people you help surprise you later by returning the favor as a thank you with something (to help you make more bbq for their eating benefit) <<just kidding there but it is awesome when people show appreciation for your hard work!!

I have always been a giver, and have always been taken care of. I have been unemployed for 19 months now, and have never stopped serving or helping others. I am still in my house, still have my car and have picked up a few cookers along the way. It is always good to have karma on your side.

Oak is also great for a very strong smoke but you cant imagine how many people tell me you cant smoke with oak, it's too acidic. Maybe too much for chicken, but great for beef and maybe some pork.

tomslusher

Actually, Oak is not harsh at all. It is a bit more mild than hickory. That is what everyone in FL uses. We have Live Oak, water oak, pin oak, scrub oak and every now and then you find a unique species brought here by someone from up north. They all work excellent for smoking as far as I know.

The oak I have used is the stuff in the Jack Daniels brand that is charcoal and barrel stave pieces. Produces great flavor, very similar to hickory, just not as strong. If you can get your hands on oak, season it up nice and dry and enjoy.

It's true my friend, what goes around comes around. Not 30 minutes ago I got a bag of wicked good weekend warrior given to me by a friend who I hooked up with some Plowboys Yardbird a couple weeks ago. You never can have too many friends and the world would be a better place if more people thought the same.

Back