MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:57 AM   #1
forgiven
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default "That's sick"

Hi guys, tomorrow I will be doing my first ever smoke and it will be on the UDS I just finished. Since finding this site I have been hooked. Last night I told my wife how excited I was to do some chickens on the new smoker and about this new web site I found. I told her I couldn't stop thinking about it and she said, I quote, "that's sick". Well, I hope if I have followed all the sugestions I have learned here she won't be saying that after she trys the chicken.

Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed. Proverbs 16:3

Old 08-25-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Welcome to the cult! Using a cooker for the first time that you made yourself is exciting isn't it?

You're right, once she tastes that chicken she will be hooked too. Good luck with the cook and post some pics.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:27 AM   #3
DirtyDirty00
is one Smokin' Farker

welcome! i chew off my fiance's ears about this forum. and my mothers.

Wishlist:
22.5" WSM
DirtyDirty00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2011, 07:28 AM   #4
deguerre

You're already ahead of the game as she DID allow you to place a 55 gallon drum in her yard.

Oh, and I got my wife to join the forum too...now SHE'S hooked.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-25-2011, 07:31 AM   #5
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

So whst's your plan with the chickens? Looking forward to the progress reports.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2011, 07:43 AM   #6
forgiven

I plan on putting 4 chickens in brine tonight. Tomorrow I will use 3 different rubs, one without. We have invited friends over to help us test. One will be our Pastor in case we need prayers. Any last minute tips would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:47 AM   #7
Phubar

You're not the one that's sick...

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2011, 07:50 AM   #8
Hannzo
Got Wood.

When I first started smoking and really getting into it my wife thought I was crazy. Every time we'd go to a store I'd go to the bbq section first. I'd always check out all the rubs at grocery stores. I'd always be looking for ways to get charcoal cheap and wood cheap. This is the first year I've smoked almost every single weekend and you know what that means? We are eating leftover bbq meat all week long. Now she asks me what im cooking on saturdays so she can plan her leftover meals during the week. :) Pretty soon when she says "thats sick" she'll be saying it in a positive way.
Hannzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2011, 07:52 AM   #9
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Go light on the smoke chunks since chicken absorbs smoke easily. Also cook 'em at 300 degrees or more to help get crispy skin. Don't sauce them until the last few minutes, just to set up the sauce, so the sugars won't burn.

At least that is what I do. I am sure other Brethren will chip in with advice.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2011, 08:05 AM   #10
SmokinAussie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Well, one things for sure... You now have the disease, so welcome to the club. At least this is a healthy disease, in that your family will be well fed, and it's not the sort of disease that will get you sent to a correctional facility or prison...

The most obvious symptom is taking pics of your food. This initially needs to be controlled and discrete, at least for the first few cooks, until the wife and family start to understand. They need to see a few posts and some responding positive comments, not to mention, they are at the same time adjusting to the real good food you are Q'ing! By that time, you can then come out of the closet (so to speak) and shout it out to the whole world!

After that, the next problem is the kit you will be getting... more smokers, every Thermopen colour, lots of knives, commercial size brining buckets, IQ110, extra fridges, a dehydrater, vac sealer, commercial slicer and last but not least... Marty's Handles!

Good luck with it all... I hope your first smoke is a winner!

Cheers!

Bill

SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2011, 09:31 AM   #11
forgiven

Do you let chickens rest foiled or without foil?

Old 08-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #12
SmokinAussie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Oh No... Here we go!

SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #13
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

are you spatching the chicken? i have noticed that my drum is slightly hotter in the middle so if you lay the birds with the breast towards the edges with the thighs/legs towards the middle imo you will get moister breasts when the thighs hit the 170 mark.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #14
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgiven View Post
Do you let chickens rest foiled or without foil?
Chicken, like ribs, do not need to rest.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2011, 10:49 AM   #15
Sunra
is one Smokin' Farker

It may or may not be sick but your in good company