Auber Instruments controller

PimpSmoke

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
(disclaimer) I do not work for or endorse Auber Instruments

So a month or to back I "found" (read wife gave me) a little extra money so I decided to spend it. For years I have been thinking of a Guru or Stoker but winced at the price. Along come the Auber Instruments website http://www.auberins.com/ and the $130.00 special on the controller with the 10cfm fan set up. Package arrived promptly and was well padded from Auber, although I wondered why I paid $25 shipping and the controller arrived in a flat rate envelope? (edit, turns out this is probably incorrect).

Anyway, I needed to figure out how I could hook this thing up to my fuel monster. First order of business was to seal the leaky beast. This brought some scavenged rack blanks for a blade server, some bolts and a donated draw latch (Thanks Harbormaster!). I cut the blanks into pieces (easier said than done) and bolted an inside and outside piece over the intake holes.

Then, I mounted the draw latch as best I could and ditched the firebox door handle.

IMG_20110823_184116.jpg

Close up of opening for fan:

IMG_20110823_184124.jpg

Next was a more efficient way for fuel consumption, that brought a few sheets of expanded grate and some stainless wire with safety wire pliers. I used an old cooking grate from a smaller cooker that was long gone to reinforce the bottom of my "fire basket". I left the front 1/4 of the bottom with just the cooking grate so the first part of the minion burn would shed ash more efficiently.

IMG_20110823_184145.jpg

It's not pretty, I'll admit I'm no craftsman with steel.

First test burn I dumped three quarters of a basket of grove and then a chimney of lit in the front of the basket. I mounted the fan, ran the thermocouple through the exhaust vent and into the cook box and plugged everything in. It took about an hour for the cooker to get to temp. After the controller held for a while, I dumped some cold water into the water pan to simulate a load of meat. The controller took approximately 32 minutes to get the temp back up and then held it steady. After a while I started opening the door and letting the temp drop, just so I could watch the controller recover, I was geeked.

Best money I've ever spent.

IMG_20110822_174449.jpg

Last edited:
The Aubers seem nice. I almost bought one but decided $25 was a bit much for shipping in a flat rate box that costs $5. I even called them to question about the rate and they would not budge, so it was a no go for me.
I do have a guru and it's great at keeping a constant temp. It was a bit more than the Auber but shipping was under $10. It was definitely the best money I have spent on an item used for smoking.

The Aubers seem nice. I almost bought one but decided $25 was a bit much for shipping in a flat rate box that costs $5. I even called them to question about the rate and they would not budge, so it was a no go for me.
I do have a guru and it's great at keeping a constant temp. It was a bit more than the Auber but shipping was under $10. It was definitely the best money I have spent on an item used for smoking.

Cheapest Digi-Q set up for my cooker that had a comparable fan, was $291.00+shipping.

The nano and the IQue have no digital read out and that was important to me. Also, the Auber accepts standard K-Type thermocouples (about 7-10 bucks) as opposed to the $29 guru replacement probe. The Auber also needs no blower adapter.

All that adds up to me being sold.

i just ordered one and it will be here this week. my shipping was only $12...why was yours so much more?

No idea, but my wife just told me the shipping that was billed to our account was indeed, $12.00.

I remember seeing the number 25 somewhere and I swear it was for shipping? I must be getting old.

Out of curiosity I clicked on the link. Am I correct in seeing that these are adaptable to a barrel style smoker? I.E. wouldn't this work for a UDS? If so, has someone done this and how did you have to rig it?

The fan has a spring clip on the end of the flange. All you do is compress the spring arms and put them through any hole big enough to allow airflow and it snaps into place. They have a video of a guy putting one on a WSM on the site.

Out of curiosity I clicked on the link. Am I correct in seeing that these are adaptable to a barrel style smoker? I.E. wouldn't this work for a UDS? If so, has someone done this and how did you have to rig it?

Do a google search for Auber and UDS and you will find how some people have created adapters to fit a pipe nipple. I even emailed Auber to inquire about this and they did not have an adapter for a nipple. They were actually quite impressed with the stuff some people have come up with.

Thanks for the reviews. I have been on the fence about bringing these in the store.

I guess I will be ordering them now.

I have two of their units, one on my UDS, and one on my Bradley electric.
Good value for me money, and great tech support.

5-0 once you get them and if you like them, see if you can make a UDS adapter. I'd be interested in a UDS package if so.

(disclaimer) I do not work for or endorse Auber Instruments

So a month or to back I "found" (read wife gave me) a little extra money so I decided to spend it. For years I have been thinking of a Guru or Stoker but winced at the price. Along come the Auber Instruments website http://www.auberins.com/ and the $130.00 special on the controller with the 10cfm fan set up. Package arrived promptly and was well padded from Auber, although I wondered why I paid $25 shipping and the controller arrived in a flat rate envelope? (edit, turns out this is probably incorrect).

Anyway, I needed to figure out how I could hook this thing up to my fuel monster. First order of business was to seal the leaky beast. This brought some scavenged rack blanks for a blade server, some bolts and a donated draw latch (Thanks Harbormaster!). I cut the blanks into pieces (easier said than done) and bolted an inside and outside piece over the intake holes.

Then, I mounted the draw latch as best I could and ditched the firebox door handle.

IMG_20110823_184116.jpg

Close up of opening for fan:

IMG_20110823_184124.jpg

Next was a more efficient way for fuel consumption, that brought a few sheets of expanded grate and some stainless wire with safety wire pliers. I used an old cooking grate from a smaller cooker that was long gone to reinforce the bottom of my "fire basket". I left the front 1/4 of the bottom with just the cooking grate so the first part of the minion burn would shed ash more efficiently.

IMG_20110823_184145.jpg

It's not pretty, I'll admit I'm no craftsman with steel.

First test burn I dumped three quarters of a basket of grove and then a chimney of lit in the front of the basket. I mounted the fan, ran the thermocouple through the exhaust vent and into the cook box and plugged everything in. It took about an hour for the cooker to get to temp. After the controller held for a while, I dumped some cold water into the water pan to simulate a load of meat. The controller took approximately 32 minutes to get the temp back up and then held it steady. After a while I started opening the door and letting the temp drop, just so I could watch the controller recover, I was geeked.

Best money I've ever spent.

IMG_20110822_174449.jpg

Thanks Bryan!

I have been waiting to see if any Bandera/BSKD users were using any fan draft systems. I started a thread but never got any response.

About how much charcoal is 3/4 of your basket? Any plans to run it with a dry waterpan when you cook?

The fan is a great match for the firebox door, with your plate mod.

Looking forward to the pending cook!

I've had one for several years that I use on my Egg, it works great! Glad your happy with it!

I put an Auber instruments controller on my stumps clone...I ordered the model that is used on the WSM and adapted it to a 2" pipe nipple. Works great! Highly recommended.

Thanks Bryan!

I have been waiting to see if any Bandera/BSKD users were using any fan draft systems. I started a thread but never got any response.

About how much charcoal is 3/4 of your basket? Any plans to run it with a dry waterpan when you cook?

The fan is a great match for the firebox door, with your plate mod.

Looking forward to the pending cook!

Brian,

I fill the basket to the top with a small piece of sheet metal near the spot where the expando metal stops. I then dump the lit in the front and fill to the top with fresh lump and pull the sheet metal out. A snake in the firebox would be way more efficient, but I suck at metalwork.

I HAD a rope gasket around the firebox door, but the adhesive was expired and it fell of before I could even get it hot. Turns out it wasn't necessary anyway.

I put in two small splits of cherry and got about 4 1/2 hours post temperature stability. I could actually hear the firebox humming from the draft convection, it was awesome.

I may run without a pan, but It will take a bit for me to get used to not needing that heat sink.

I will say there is a drawback, you need to use small pieces of wood. When I put the splits in, they would burn nice and clean for a few seconds, until the flames spiked the temp. At that point, the controller would choke the draft and the white smoke would start rolling. Smaller pieces of wood may minimize this. My next project if I cook without a waterpan is to take a piece of sheet metal cut to to the size of a grate and perforate it, like the baffle in some other cookers I have seen. I'll just slide that into the water pan runner and I can take it out to clean the drippings off it.

(edit) Sorry, three quarters of my basket is about three full unlit chimneys, for comparison. I used lump, so it burned hot and fast with little ash. After the nightmares I have dealt with in the past with briqs, I am really hesitant to use them. The basket may fix this and I might be able to mix lump/briqs in the future for a longer burn.

Last edited:
The UDS i am using was my friend matt from here and he drilled a hole in it to attack his stoker he bought. the temp controller will fit in the hole he drilled in so there should be no problem with it working.

Back