1st smoke tomorrow morning

NoviceBBQmovinUp

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
This is littlerally the first smoke i will be doing EVER. i am going to go to my local costco and correct me if i am wrong, but they sell the package thats called "Boneless pork shoulder" whats the difference between this and the "bone in boston butt" (besides the bone obviouslly) should i look somewhere else for the meat?? I usually hear ppl saying they smoked pork butt so this is why i ask.
Im in Gilbert AZ so if you know a different place i should get the meat please tell

Good luck on your 1st smoke. I've seen boneless butts around my neck of the woods so that may be the same as a boneless pork shoulder. I've never seen a boneless pork shoulder, but we usually don't get all cuts of meat down here in the swamp.
I smoke butts low and slow at 220 until an internal temp of 200. Then wrap in foil and place in a cooler for 1 hr.
I sometimes inject butts with cherry dr pepper or a cuban mojo sauce. Both add flavor deep in the meat and provide a bit more moisture.

Post pics when you get started.

I honestly can't help about the meat cut but still want to wish you good luck. Enjoy yourself!

The shoulder is made up of the Boston Butt and the Picnic. Picnic is near the joint, Butt is near the blade.

Never cooked a boneless butt myself. I like having the bone in there and that's what I would look for personally, but that's not to say that you can't get good pulled pork out of a boneless piece. Any difference will probably be unnoticeable to the people you feed it to. Realistically, I'd be more focused on my fire, maintaining consistent temps and making sure you get it cooked perfectly. Enjoy! This is just the first of many, I'm sure.

I've done both and prefer the bone in, but the boneless is fine. +1 on the twine. Without the bone it's a little gangly and the thinner parts can over cook. Tie it up like a roast after rubbing all the nooks and crannies and it will be delicious. Best of luck and don't forget... if you're looking you're not cooking.

The butt cooks faster without a bone. I've done some this way in contest and I did not notice much of a taste difference. I did not use twine but I cooked fat cap up (or the thick fat layer up). I did inject the pork, rub, and wrap at about 160 degrees. Good luck.

I was in yours same shoes last weekend! Like a kid at Christmas! God luck and enjoy!

+1 on tying a boneless roast. If you can find bone-in, go for that, but if not, no biggie - you'll still be plenty happy, I can assure you. Just cook till probe tender, let that thing rest a little, pull it apart and eat it. I like it best with vinegar sauce and slaw, but that's by no means the only way to eat pulled pork. Enjoy! One warning - just be ready to be disappointed in pulled pork you get from most restaurants - it likely won't be as good as yours.

Thanks everyone....i am going to try and take a few photos and see how this goes....how do i edit this post so that i can insert pictures up at the top? Also is there a way to edit the title of this thread?...the "edit" button next to Quote is not there, however it is next to this current post i am doing

Last edited:
I don't know if you can edit the title, but you can go back and edit your original post, however, I would just start a new thread with your results! :)
I'd be more concerned about changing that name of yours... you're not going to be a novice for much longer!
It really doesn't matter what cut of meat you smoke... keep an eye on your temps no matter what you're cooking and it will turn out beautifully!

Back