UDS Brisket edu-mukachun

huaco

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I preface this post by saying this: I searched the cook book pages...

I have had a few REALLY NICE smokes on my UDS I built a few months ago.
I don't even pretend to be a Q-expert... I have smoked some country "ribs" (I know they aren't really ribs) also, I have smoked some yard-birds (both times VERY good) and some bratwursts.

I have a Brisket weighing in at 8.75 pounds. It is cryo-packed and thawing in the fridge for a meal on this Sunday coming up. The meal is at 5pm.

I have no problem regulating my UDS, and it will ride at 225-220 as long as I will let it go.

5 families will be eating. Is this enough meat for 5 families? (10 adults and 13 children ranging between 3 and 13) Should I smoke that turkey in my freezer as well??? (just in case)

How do you fellas go about smoking a brisket? What is your most successful method? I will be smoking with pecan or hickory chunks... What time should I start my UDS for a 5 pm meal? How long to smoke? How long to foil? What is your favorite internal temp for Brisket?

Thanks in advanced for your help...

Huaco

My experience with brisket is this......I trim it up and then weigh it. Let's say it weighs 10 lbs when I put it on the smoker. After I smoke it, rest it and trim it a little more I usually end up up with 4.5-5.0 pounds of beautiful lean brisket. When feeding family and friends I usually allow for 1/3rd to 1/2 a pound for adults. This way I always have enuff and most likely will have leftovers. As for kids....it depends on their ages. Teenagers eat a lot..especially boys. But grade schoolers and toddlers eat a little and then wanna go play. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
That is not enough meat. I figure 1 lbs. per adult and .5 lbs for children depending on there age. I would be figuring 16 to 18 pounds for a crowd like that. However I love the left overs so I don't worry if I have to much I just vac pack and freeze in meals for two for me and my wife. 14 pounds would be the least I would sleep well with for your group.

That is not enough meat. I figure 1 lbs. per adult and .5 lbs for children depending on there age. I would be figuring 16 to 18 pounds for a crowd like that. However I love the left overs so I don't worry if I have to much I just vac pack and freeze in meals for two for me and my wife. 14 pounds would be the least I would sleep well with for your group.

Thanks for the answers on the quantity. I will thaw the turkey too... brine it overnight before I smoke it...

Any advice on rubs/prep for the beef?

I use rubs of my own making. I try to formulate them low salt and vary the sugar depending on the meat I'm rubbin. Pork and ribs get a little more and chicken and beef get much less. The rest of the ingredients are up to you. I use different formulas of smoked paprika, black pepper, kosher salt, onion and garlic powders, cayenne, chile powders (there are many many kinds of chile powder), mustard powder and cumin. Many Brethren here have favorites that they buy already mixed.

I would avoid any rubs w/too much sugar/brown sugar in them. A small amount is ok though. I also think you will need more food so get that turkey going too. As far as times, at 225* you probably want to allow at least 12 hours to get it just right. You can always go high heat if your UDS will allow. This should reduce your cooking times significantly. Use the search feature at the bottom, plenty of info on how to do that. I've yet to do a high heat brisket myself.

Brisket takes 11 to 12 hours in my UDS at 250 with a water pan. I foil at 175 degrees IT, about 7 or 8 hours and add in a 1 cup of beef broth. Seems to be done at around 200 degrees IT but I probe it to be sure. I am carefull not to get holes in the foil as I loose all of that precious juice that is awesome!!!!!!! So tender and delicious I love that brisket.
An unstuffed turkey cooked in 7 hours at 250 degrees. If you are going to cook both of them together add an hour or so usually. Also remember I am using a water pan and all UDS do their own thing so I hope my cooks give you an idea.

Back