Not Q and no pics - but it's because of you guys...

Harbormaster

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I just ate a sliced tomato and onion sandwich on an onion and poppy ciabatta roll with mayo and horseradish. (edit) Oh yeah! and a sprinkling of Bayou Dirt!!

Awe.Some.

That is something I never would have tried until I read about tomato sandwiches on here. And tomato pie.

I never even liked raw tomatoes.

Then I made bruschetta. Incredible.

Now I'm turnin' into a tomato junkie.

Welcome to the club! Tomato sandwiches rock! :thumb:

Great description, I have the flavor in my mouth now. :hungry:

Here's a great meatless breakfast sandwich with tomato:

Grilled scrambled egg sandwich with mayo, melted colby jack and a couple slices of home-grown TOMATO. Also, don't forget a splash of your hot sauce of choice.

I love tomato sandwiches, grew up with them as my mom loved em too. That is why we grew them.

To not eat a tomato sandwich in the summer is a sin against god. I'm really happy for you.

Another thing we enjoy are pitas stuffed with maters, avacado, pepper jack chez and salt and pepper... :thumb:

Sliced heirloom tomato, salt and pepper, slightly toasted bread with a little mayo smear...the best summer sandwich. I think I'll have one for dinner tonight. Thanks for posting this.

So I experimented with the tomato sandwich thing last night.

Had some tomatoes from my folks. Sliced one up and made two sandwiches, both on toasted whole wheat bread, one with Miracle Whip and one with Hellman's mayo. Both got a little Dirt and some Tobasco. Wavy Lays chips too (no, not on the sammie, on the side).

Let me tell you, there is a HUGE difference between Miracle Whip and mayo on a tomato sammie.

The mayo one was WAY more creamy and tasty. I also think that the mayo was a little more salty and that may have played a part too.

Either way, it was good eating.

This begs the question. Clark, why would anyone EVER buy Miracle Whip?:becky:

Seriously though, just a plain tomato, s&p with mayo on toast can NOT be beat. Unless it's a BLT on texas toast, or a belt (Bacon egg lettuce and tomato).

Miracle Whip is for potato salad.

And tomatoes make anything healthy. :wink:

We're growing heirlooms - I'm guessing some of 'em are gonna find themselves sliced & between some bread. :thumb:

Love the sound of your sandwich Harbormaster!
I've been living on fresh tomatoes all week... they are sooo good. :-D

Yummy. One of my favorite samichis is a tomato, cucumber and smoked provolone. It can be made on any type of bread.

Oh yeah, grilled tomatoes ROCK. a little olive oil and your favorite rub and let them grill on the cooker... Mmm:thumb:

...why would anyone EVER buy Miracle Whip?
It has it's "place". I do like it on a regular sandwich, sometimes in my cole slaw.

Love the sound of your sandwich Harbormaster!
Thanks Jeannie. Really starting to dig fresh tomatoes. Never really cared for them.

One of my favorite samichis is a tomato, cucumber and smoked provolone.
That sounds good.

I told my wife last night that next year I need to plant my own basil, as I think some basil leaves on a tomato sammie would be Off.The.Hook.

i gotta try this sandwich. i dont love tomatoes raw either but lately ive been eating them more and more in my salad. so i shoudl give this sandwich a go.

I told my wife last night that next year I need to plant my own basil, as I think some basil leaves on a tomato sammie would be Off.The.Hook.[/QUOTE]

That is how we eat mater sandwiches, big slices of tomatoe, loaded up with basil, S&P and Hellmans/Bestfoods. That is the best way to go.

Tomato and mayo sammies are the bomb. Add a slice of Vadilla onion and it is heaven. Never had cheese on a mater sandwich but I bet is awesome.

Back