• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chicken

Guranimo

Reaction score
So we created a new team and are entering our first competition in about a month. Been doing practice cooks but I have a question on chicken. This cookoff is requiring a turn in of a half a chicken along with 6 slices. we will be able to check in 2 whole chickens or a total of 4 halves. Anyone have any advice? We have been doing whole chickens with an injection which comes out beautifully but more concerned with the slices.

Sliced chicken is going to be brutal. Hopefully others have better ideas because i can only think of slicing the chicken breast and that has never done well for me.

Missouri City? Right up the road from me.

Without seeing your rules I would recommend taking one of the chicken halves and removing the breast bones prior to smoking. Poultry shears works well for this.

Pick the best looking half to put in the box, once done cooking.

Remove the wing from the other breast that you deboned. You may consider doing this prior to cooking as well.

Using an electric knife you should be able to remove the other breast from the thigh with one cut.

Then slice the breast 6 times.

Thats if I understand your turn in to be 1/2 PLUS 6 slices. If not, use the wing, thigh and leg from this same piece and arrange around your slices.

Good Luck!

RnagerJ it i the Ft Bend County Fair on September 30-October 1. Appreciate the help. I'll take all I can get since it is the first one we are doing. Excited but antsy at the same time. Main categories are chicken, spares, brisket, and fajitas.

I recommend brining. I would also suggest resting the product before slicing, to avoid losing all the natural juices.

Basic Brine Recipe:
1 gallon Water
1 C Koscher Salt
1/2 C Sugar
Aromatics of your choice
1. Combine all ingredients 2. Bring to boil 3. Cool

Back