Mini WSMs are awesome!

Jeffp

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
After reading posts here by fellow brethren, I HAD to make a mini WSM. (I have dubbed mine the BB). These things are so cool. After an initial burn to smoke it up a bit, I cooked some chicken 1/4s and some spares. The first burn lasted 6 hours on the first load of coal and probably could have gone longer.
I was only running the temp around 235 and it held steady for several hours. Can't wait to try some other creations
Thanks to all for the "how-to" info.

Attachments

• The BB.jpg
    The BB.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 213
  • Chicken.jpg
    Chicken.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 210
It was a pretty easy build too. I never would have thought of a big ol pot being used to make a little smoker. My brother in law is gonna be jealous!

I used mine for the first time today. food was great, but I am lacking in the photography end. I took a picture at the start and didn't want to open it up. I was going to take a picture before cutting it but my wife had cut it before I came back in... pictures next time. :doh:

Going to build mine soon, love seeing these everytime someone builds one got any more pics of the specifics of what you put in yours. thanks

You can never have too many Mini's!

IMG_3779.jpg

For the water pan, I used a 10" cake pan resting on aluminum brackets I fabbed. It is similar to the WSM set up, the way the pan is right below the lower grate. I also cut the top cooking grate so it would slip past the handle rivets easier and fit on the top cooking level.

This is all I had. I thought I took a picture of the tri-tip I did before putting it into the cooker. All i had was the foiled saucer for a later build series. Anyways, it was a liitle 2 lb tri-tip marinated in Miller Lite for a couple hours and then rubbed with The Rub Co - Santa Maria Style Rub. Pulled at 140 and rested. It was excellent; also did a couple stuffed Japs.....just ran out of Bacon.

IMG_3124.jpg

Is there a consensus about the SJ silver vs SJ gold? I definitely need some of these.

they both work well. i've been using the silver with the can mod. but i now have a gold so i will try that next time.

I think I might have to make me one of these. They look perfect for camping/hunting.

Is there a consensus about the SJ silver vs SJ gold? I definitely need some of these.
If I was going to buy one I would get the Gold due to the ash issues with the silver. These things are easy to maintain 250 - 300 temps and can do a 6 hour cook without any issues. Great for cooking fo a few people I was able to do 36 wings with no issues

Back