Thoughts on the UDS Thread

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I finally at least looked at every page in the UDS thread. It took me quite a few days of browsing in my free time to see it all. As a noob who is considering building a UDS, I found a lot of good stuff in there. As a noob who was looking for a lot of specific ideas, I found most of what I was looking for.

Thought #1: This thread should be a sticky in a new sub-forum called "UDS: Using and Building".

Thought #2: I found answers to all my questions about building a UDS within the photos posted in that thread. Some sort of photo gallery collection of all those images would be a fantastic resource :)

Thought #3: I have a lot more thoughts probably, but those are the main two.

Yeah, its a bear to get through. I view it kinda like grinding out a liner. Its a rite of passage when building a UDS. That said, I think some sort of wiki would be outstanding. Different topics could be in different categories. You could even link directly to posts in the thread. Just some thoughts from my end.

Good points Jim. When i first started reading the UDS thread from the beginning,about 30 pages a day my head started to spin. I had to do a lot of back peddling trying to find answers to some of the questions i had.

Somewhere in the beginning of this thread should be sticky note for all newbies to remind them to take lots of notes. Any thing of interest or importance,jot down the page # and or post#. would make back-peddling much simpler.

A general build subforum categorizing all types of builds would be nice.

Couple of "Reader's Digest" versions of building a UDS, one from this forum, one from another.

Norcoredneck's post, which is updated through the first few pages:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43943&highlight=if+a+redneck

Post from another BBQ forum:
http://www.bbqbug.com/forums/general-bbq-grilling/832-our-uds-cooker-how-build-one-part-1-a.html

Norcoredneck's tutorial just needs to stay stickied. That thing is perfect.

Yeah, Norcoredneck's thread is the one I used when I built mine.
The UDS thread is farkin incredible, but there's a LOT of BS in there that just bogs it down. Pat's post is much more concise and to the point.

+1 on the Norco thread - I started on the big UDS thread, but seems be be a lot of chaff mixed in with the good stuff - not to discount that thread, there is lots of vital information on there.

Norco's is concise and clear and very focused on the actual building of the cooker. Thanks Norco! :thumb:

I found the reading of the entire UDS thread to be a right of passage. I love my UDS and it was worth every hour spent reading.

What's a UDS?????

I keeeeeed, I keeeeed

Norco's way is pretty do-able for those of us less handy

What I have gathered from the thread is a combination of lots of different designs that I would like to incorporate in my own build... once I find a drum... I just find that looking at the photos is, for me, the best way to understand those designs.

I built my UDS according to the Pickled Pig several years ago, and have built a few since then, taking a pragmatic approach by keeping it simple.

Norcoredneck's tutorial just needs to stay stickied. That thing is perfect.

I agree. Everything you need to know without all the drama and questions asked several times on the same subject. Just great basic info.

Good points Jim. When i first started reading the UDS thread from the beginning,about 30 pages a day my head started to spin. I had to do a lot of back peddling trying to find answers to some of the questions i had.

Somewhere in the beginning of this thread should be sticky note for all newbies to remind them to take lots of notes. Any thing of interest or importance,jot down the page # and or post#. would make back-peddling much simpler.
Just a general idea. Whenever I start reading up on something like the UDS thread, I open a word processing file-Notepad usually. I cut and paste anything I find interesting there, I can always edit it later. I leave it on my desktop at first, to get to quickly. My UDS file is called "UDS in a nutshell" and I update it as I come across anything new.

Besides the build threads the UDS photo gallery for me was just as important in getting different design ideas.

I would Love a Forum for UDS builds and or for any type of BBQ builds and Gadgets related to BBQ. Q-Talk then can be for well, Q-talk(Food).

Back