Last weekends butt. W/ PRON

Kenny Rogers

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Here's the results of last weekends cook. I did a pork butt and did it as slow and low as possible to try to get it to "hang" in the "zone" to get it as tender and succulent as I could. I put it on 175 and cooked it for about 15 hours before "cranking" it up to 225 and finishing. Pulled it out after 25 hours for the juciest, most flavorful pork butt, I've ever tasted!

20110717_0515.jpg

20110717_0517.jpg

20110717_0521.jpg

20110717_0535.jpg

20110717_0537.jpg

Last edited:
Man! That's truly LOW and SLOW!!!!! Looks like your patience definitely paid off. Great looking butt (it still feels weird to say that to another man).

Looks great from here. I don't think I'd have the patience for that. I'd be "testing" it throughout the cook.

Sure does look like it was worth the time.

All on one load of charcoal?

Yep... all one load on the BGE... when you burn her that low, she doesn't use much at all. Thanks to my faitful stoker, it didn't require that much patience, pretty much just set it and forget it. AND the stoker sure helps save on fuel for them long burns!

After I turned it up to 225 I NEVER thought it would get up to temp! I was only about 2 hours late serving dinner, but when I pulled that butt off the egg, and the family saw it, it was well worth the wait!

I did bone in this time, which I've never done, but I was NOT disspointed with the results.

And I thought 18hrs on the wsm was a long time. Dang, Kenny... How did you estimate your timeframe for serving at such low temps?

Beautiful butt bark.

And I thought 18hrs on the wsm was a long time. Dang, Kenny... How did you estimate your timeframe for serving at such low temps?

Beautiful butt bark.

I really didn't worry about timing. It was an expirament to see just HOW slow and low I could cook with the BGE. I put it on on Saturday, intending to have it ready SOMETIME on Sunday for dinner. The beauty of a butt and/or a brisket is you can wrap it and let it rest for several hours if you want. :becky:
I was (a little) worried it would turn out like mush, but it actually set up quite nicely.
I'm not sure that it benefited the overall flavor profile that much, but it was sure delicious.
With a BGE and a stoker, it was really no extra effort to put it on for that long, compared to a faster cook.

What kind of thermometer are you using?

Here's the results of last weekends cook. I did a pork butt and did it as slow and low as possible to try to get it to "hang" in the "zone" to get it as tender and succulent as I could. I put it on 175 and cooked it for about 15 hours before "cranking" it up to 225 and finishing. Pulled it out after 25 hours for the juciest, most flavorful pork butt, I've ever tasted!

20110717_0515.jpg

20110717_0517.jpg

20110717_0521.jpg

20110717_0535.jpg

20110717_0537.jpg

It looks delicious! :clap2: Just curious, why did you use a meat thermometer for such a long and slow cook?

Back