What's a good price on chuck roll?

Al Czervik

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I saw some today at Cash and Carry and it was like $2.58/lb or something like that. The farkin cryopack looks like it weighed over twenty pounds easy.:shocked: I've never done up a chuckie, but have seen many posts here that have and would like to give it a try. Please tell me what you know... :thumb:

Prices vary by location, not sure what your prices should be up there. Around here, a Chuck Roast which is cut from the Chuck Roll is going around $2.98/lb on average if memory serves (I don't have the best memory). So considering you are buying in bulk, that sounds like a good price to me.

Yep, you are correct. I cooked chuckies last weekend that I picked up from Sam's for just under $3/lb. The chuck roll should be cheaper as there is less labor involved in the processing. However, take that into consideration before you buy one too. You will then be the one cutting it down and storing what you don't cook right away.

b/d/c: Thank you all for your input! :clap2:

Is there anything special I need to do to smoke one up? I think I heard it was a lot like cooking up a butt, but I have CRS and have a hard time remembering.

Pretty much just like a butt if you want pulled beef (My experience with 4-5 lb roasts). Some like to foil at 160 with a little juice. I just pan mine at this point. Usually go to around 205 IT +/-.

I didn't look at the "roll" very closely so I'm not sure if it was one or two pieces. I'm guessing maybe two as a twenty pounder would have to have come from a Mega-Cow. Although I hear they do have some of those down on the Hanford Nuclear Site here in WA. :shock:

Usually, from what I understand as I have never actually gotten one, the roll is essentially a very large chunk if not the whole shoulder. Chuck roasts are then cut from the roll in much smaller "steak" cuts. A whole roll will probably take forever to cook. If they are running a big sale like it sounds, you might just see if they have any chuck roasts at a good price. That will save you from having to mess with the whole roll.

Thanks for the input. This outfit is somewhat of a restaurant supply business so only sells in bulk. I've got a 12" scimitar blade so wouldn't have a problem buying the whole roll and carving it up. From what I gather, it sounds like 4-5 pounders would be about right for pulled beef? :confused:

Thanks for the input. This outfit is somewhat of a restaurant supply business so only sells in bulk. I've got a 12" scimitar blade so wouldn't have a problem buying the whole roll and carving it up. From what I gather, it sounds like 4-5 pounders would be about right for pulled beef? :confused:

Yep. Go for it! Otherwise you've got 15-20 lbs of cooked beef to account for. Got a vacuu sucker?

The chuck roll I purchased at BJs was 23 lbs. of beefy goodness ~ 1 HUGE piece of beefy goodness! :becky:

I slathered it with yellow mustard and worcestershire sauce and then dusted it with my favorite beef rub. Cooked at 225 - 230 and 28 hours later, it's dinner! When I separated all the muscles after cooking, I had 3 nice size roasts and I pulled the rest for sammies. :clap2:

I cooked a 22 lb. chuck roll last weekend. It was RD's proprietary angus brand and cost $2.59/lb. I cut the roll in half, trimmed a little ugly stuff, slathered with mustard and rubbed each half with Smoking Guns Hot. I put the meat on both racks of my 18.5" WSM, added some hickory chunks and cooked at a dome temp of 250. After about 12 hrs the internal temp reached 165 and I then foiled to move things along. At about 16 hrs the temp was 195 so I wrapped an additional double layer of foil and stored in a cooler for four hours. The meat was still quite hot when it came time to pull which was very easy to do. Seasoned with more SGH and a little Lexington style sauce. Nice combo of bark and inner meat and very tasty. I would agree it is very similar to cooking pork butt.

Back