For those of you who let ribs rest in a cooler

Im a Walrus

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
after smoking... do you finish them with sauce before you put them in foil in the cooler to rest or do you pull them out of the cooler after resting, brush them with sauce and then finish them for 30 minutes or so?

Thanks!

I sauce em 30 min before I take them of the grill and wrap....then people eating can dip in more if they want.

I really really try not to have to hold ribs. I tend to serve them glazed and use the standard restaurant trick. I hold them dry, then hot them on the grill with glaze if that is how I am going. My preference is serving dry with a sauce on the side.

after smoking... do you finish them with sauce before you put them in foil in the cooler to rest or do you pull them out of the cooler after resting, brush them with sauce and then finish them for 30 minutes or so?

Thanks!

Sometimes just a little mop and then on to the grill after resting, sometimes a little sauce after resting, sometimes a little mop first and then some sauce, sometimes no sauce!

I never put the sauce on before.

I really really try not to have to hold ribs. I tend to serve them glazed and use the standard restaurant trick. I hold them dry, then hot them on the grill with glaze if that is how I am going. My preference is serving dry with a sauce on the side.

Thanks. Why do you not like to hold ribs? And what is the "standard restaurant trick?"

I don't hold, I find they get a little mushy. If I need to delay serving them, I wrap and refrigerate and then on the grill before serving. When I do that, it seems like the flavors intensify.

same here.

^^^ ditto.

When we sauce I remove them from foil and put the glaze sauce on them thinly and only when it's VERY hot. I actually dont need them back on the grill at that time; I just give the sauce 5-10 minutes to set up and *voila*.

I have found, as expatpig stated, that if you try to hold them hot, they get a little mushy, or if you cleverly undercook them, they tend to stay a little tough. Ribs have a sweet spot in my opinion.

The standard restaurant trick, is to cook them until they hit the sweet spot, refrigerate them at that point, a flash cooler is real nice, but, who has one of those handy? Then, when ready to serve, put them over the hot grill, apply sauce and cook for 15 minutes at higher heat, to set or glaze and reheat meat. Since the ribs are already tender, if you bring to room temperature before serving, it takes just a few minutes. This allows you to serve a lot of ribs, to a lot of people, with minimal risk of not being ready to serve.

But, these are not as good as straight off the cooker. There is nothing quite like straight off the cooker, you don't need a knife, rip off a few bones and gnaw at em.

WHen I glaze ribs nowadays I use a thinned down sauce applied right after pulling from the smoker and let them sit for about 10 minutes if I'm serving them right away or I let them cool un-covered then wrap in foil and put them in the fridge to be heated up before serving. I have found that the residual heat from the ribs is enough to set the glaze.

Back