This just in ....

G$

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
..the smoker:

@1:15

• 2 small corned beef points, one simple rubbed with pepper, the other a Dr. Pepper marinade
    1 small butt
    1 Pork Loin with simple pepper -salt-garlic-onion rub
    16 oz fatty

A mini barbecue, all small cuts.

Be sure to let us know how those corned beef points turned out and which one was better. I plan on making another attempt at one tomorrow. Started soaking it in water last night and changed the water today at noon.

Well, here is one update. The corned beef points were small, <3 pounds each, they have been in a good 225* pit for over 3 hours, and are just cracking 140* internal. Seems slow. Conversely, the pork loin and butt which are slightly larger are already in 165* area.

I think my lesson here is my chamber temps vary much more than I thought.

Neil said:
Be sure to let us know how those corned beef points turned out and which one was better. I plan on making another attempt at one tomorrow. Started soaking it in water last night and changed the water today at noon.

Frankly, I strongly preferred the 'plain' point which was simply rinsed, coated in worcestireshire sauce, and peppered with a little bit of onion and garlic powder added. Tasted pretty much like good ol pastrami. Not bad.

The Dr.Pepper Marinade was a little strange. there was certainly a sweetness to it, but not a strong sweetness - certainly not enough to counter all the salt, so it ended with this mis matched flavor IMO.

Both could have been improved by simply slicing them thinner than I did.

Although not the greatest results, I will probably continue to do corned beef experiments when they are on sale (~$1 per pound) and convenient (~3 pounds).

Put the corned beef brisket flat I smoked last Sunday on the slicer today. Sliced it very thin and trimmed all the fat off. Yes it was a bit on the salty side but with it sliced almost paper thin it was tastey and has possibilities as an accent to other dishes. Pastramiprosciutto Mod!!!

Neil said:
Put the corned beef brisket flat I smoked last Sunday on the slicer today. Sliced it very thin and trimmed all the fat off. Yes it was a bit on the salty side but with it sliced almost paper thin it was tastey and has possibilities as an accent to other dishes. Pastramiprosciutto Mod!!!

Try it on an everything bagel with cream cheese.

Back