MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Default Pitmaster T - I have a bone to Pick - Texas BBQ Makes Errors?

I have a bone to pick and I never got around to it. A while ago my mother saved this BBQ article in AAA's Magazine where they try and teach us about TEXAS style BBQ. It is full of BIG errors.

happy 004.jpg
Okay This is the Magazine. Nothing wrong from this point. REALLY???? READ ON!!!! THIS IS A PICTURE OF SMITTYS MARKET'S 80 YEAR OLD PIT. BUT THE ARTICLE IS ABOUT KREUZ.

happy 001.jpg
First Page, first sentence the author, travel writer Eric Lucas, says he is at Kreuz market. A few sentences down he says he is in a "century old building." Now I have to pause. Kreuz Market has not been in the building he is describing since 1999. Admittedly Eric parenthetically notes "(Kruez has since relocated to a new building)" but this article was written in 2011. What's going on here? Next paragraph he notes again that he is in a building with an "80-year-old brick fire pit..." The guy just does NOT know where the hell he is.

Oh but wait... he plays a little trick on us. Albeit in a very bad way. He sneaks in "that experience 18 years ago...." Ooooh, now I get it, he is talking about being IN that restaurant 18 years ago. All is forgiven... or is it?

happy 002.jpghappy 003.jpg
The picture you see here is from Smitty's as well, so is the guy slicing... that is not Ray Perez...

No where does he mention that Smittys (part of the same family) is located in that original building serving up great Cue too. Sure he lists it below, but I think he is being Chicken ****. Taking sides in the Lockhart version of he Hatfields and Mc Coys is for NATIVE Texans only, not some dweeb from Seattle who says he's tasted Q in 12 states. John Fullilove and Smittys deserves respect and not to be snubbed.

john_pit.JPG
John at his pit at Smittys

bbq_smitty_fire (562 x 750).jpg
John at the pit in question on cover of mag... Not Kreuz but Smittys... no credit.

Kruez 02.JPG
Kreuz Newer Pits
http://www.kreuzmarket.com/about.shtml
http://www.smittysmarket.com/
http://www.blacksbbq.com/

Edict.

Last edited by Pitmaster T; 07-06-2011 at 03:04 PM..
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 07-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

So your "bone" is that some guy who wrote a magazine article and is critiquing Kreuz market doesn't know what he's talking about?

Isn't that like being upset that politicians lie?

Just sayin.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

No, not at all. I am not talking about Cable news or politics. Never mentioned it. Let say you own your business one day (if you don;t already) and some writer coems in and says "hey, mind if I take some photos for an article I am doing?" Then publishes and article about YOUR competition BUT uses photos of YOUR place to promote Their business and drive sales in THEIR door... nowhere mentioning your name in the main article.

I am saying that a travel writer, whose job it is to let people know where the cool things are at... like a restaurant with an 80 year old pit, in a century old building, has a responsibility to get the pictures right. In fact if I was John, I would sue. Funny thing is, I am not sure even the FOOD is from Kreuz market (they both serve on pink butchers).

We have a story about the old place, picture from the old place (one on the damn cover) and nowhere any actual information about the old place (now called smittys but still run by half of the same family).

Edict.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Furthermore, yep, its okay to actually BE upset that a politician lied... weapons of mass destruction not withstanding. :-)

Edict.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Finally I will take on something I cannot precisely prove. he issue of the pork chop. LOL

I have eaten their before and that it NO one of Kruez pork chops. Not any I have had.

KreuzMarket-PorkChop.jpg
Kruez's chops are thicker and often are grain exposed.

Smittys_BBQ_Lockhart_Texas_food-1_2011_04_14-09_52_58.jpg
Smittys has a pit of crust on the sides

Compare the chops in the picture above. I believe the food shot is not even Kreuz's but Smittys.

Edict.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

That is some high quality journalism right there! You should call Anderson Cooper!

Old 07-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
Boshizzle

Others may not understand your passion on this subject but I think I empathise. The BBQ joint that I worked at for a little over 3 years when I was younger during the late 1970's to 1981 was bought out in the mid 1980's. Every newspaper article that has been written about the place since has all of these stories about who is doing the cooking, what name they have "always" been known as for forty years, and how they "cook the BBQ just like it was done in the 1950's."

I can tell you, it's no longer even cooked the way it was in the late 1970's much less the 1950's. And, the person that has been there ~40 years and has " always been affectionately known as ***" was never called that the whole time I was there and they NEVER cooked the BBQ.

The first time I ate at the place after the new owners took it over, I walked in and one of the new owners began to tell me about how the BBQ was cooked just like it was when Mr. ***** was here and that *** is still fixing the sandwiches just like she had done for forty years. Well, *** never made a BBQ sandwich the whole time I worked there and the BBQ now had a warmed over flavor.

I did mutter something to the new owner about how that Mr. ***** never served warmed over meat as it was cooked over night and served until he ran out of meat. The new owner had one story but the flavor of the meat had another. I talked to *** a few years ago and asked about the changes and everything I suspected was true. Cooked, frozen, and reheated meat is served often and the back kitchen help is making up BBQ sandwiches rather than having them made up from a fresh shoulder pulled from the cooker as customers order them.

So, thanks for the corrections in that article.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
thirdeye

..."The picture you see here is from Smitty's as well, so is the guy slicing... that is not Ray Perez..."

I'd say it looks more like Roy Perez...., but regardless the graphic folks got some stuff mixed up. But, most folks would never notice (except the chicks that dig sideburns and barbecue, and folks that have been there. Heheheee).

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #9
Bulverde
Knows what a fatty is.

What can one expect from a true academic historian who loves Texas style barbecue!!

Ha ha, great post.

Bulverde
Bulverde is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2011, 06:12 PM   #10
landarc

John looks like he has lost some weight in that picture.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #11
MilitantSquatter

Good eye Donnie...

You can find the writer of the article here at his website...

http://www.trailnot4sissies.com/index.html
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #12
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Thanks Donnie, I'm upset just reading this and I've never been to Lockhart. This is sloppy and dishonest. I hope you're writing or have written a letter of complaint to the magazine. The editors should definitely be aware and if they have any credibility, they should issue a correction/retraction/apology. This is more than a slip. This really is unforgivable.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #13
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
..."The picture you see here is from Smitty's as well, so is the guy slicing... that is not Ray Perez..."

I'd say it looks more like Roy Perez...., but regardless the graphic folks got some stuff mixed up. But, most folks would never notice (except the chicks that dig sideburns and barbecue, and folks that have been there. Heheheee).
Jesus... es, Roy.. Roy Perez. Sorry, typo. Actually, I think I might switch his first name often.

image_649760.jpg
Roy Perez

smittys_02.jpg
The guy at Smittys (I have no Idea his Name) - He is a Slicer

35553_401326610935_124139455935_4799395_5869777_n.jpg
Me

Edict.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #14
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Now that I look closely at the magazine and (I have not been to Kruez in 3 years) noticed that Rays hair is receding and he is getting puffier than when I knew him... and his pictures just 5 years ago... that is INDEED Ray dammit ROI in the picture slicing. He rolls his sleeves up.

Edict.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #15
smokinQ2
On the road to being a farker

Love the passion!! Keep the fires burning with wood that is......