Meat Probe Stupid Question

P

proteus

I hope this is not too off-topic and if it is i apologize.

The story:

For my mom's birthday i got her this device:

YouTube - ‪Hamilton Beach® Set 'n Forget® 6 Quart Programmable Slow Cooker with Spoon Lid (33967)‬‏

even when i ordered it i knew it would break because its cheap chinese **** but the reviews were good and the price was right so i gave it a shot.

unfortunately it worked quite well and my mother loved it, so now that it broke ( it broke within a month ) i am working on an alternative.

perhaps the best feature was the auto shut off based on meat probe temperature. i couldn't find a replacement slow cooker that offered a probe so i ordered this ( should be getting it on the 7th ):

YouTube - ‪Nesco 12 Quart Roaster Oven‬‏

and have to provide thermometer separately. i was going to use ET-732 at first and then i read ( on this forum ) that its probes are not water resistant. now these devices ( slow cookers ) work almost as steamers with the juice dripping down and boiling in a closed space - there is massive condensation everywhere. Hamilton Beach used a unique probe design that kept all of the wire outside the cooking vessel with just the tip going in through the lid, conveniently avoiding the water issue.

So my question is - if i use ET-732 probes inside a slow cooker ( or oven roaster used as a slow cooker ) will the massive steam/vapor damage the probes ? ( i e-mailed maverick with the same question but got no response )

unfortunately something like thermapen is not a very good solution in this case because it takes 5 hours for the slow cooker to do its job and my mother doesn't have a 5 hour attention span. with the Hamilton Beach it shut off by itself when done, so for a replacement i want something that at least will sound an alarm.

ps: would it be possible to use a thermal sensor to control a switched 120V outlet to shut the unit off automatically ?

ps: we specifically want to use it as a SLOW cooker - meaning i want to keep maximum temperature VERY low for health reasons. in other words using higher temperature to get rid of condensation is not an option.

Personally I can not help you with the information.
HOWEVER I can applaud you for being a most conscientious son and doing so much for your Mom in this area! :clap2::clap2:
Seriously.. no joke. Your intent, motives, and actions all speak loud ... and well!

The massive steam/vapor will mess up the probes.

Isn't the original still under warrantee? Perhaps a replacement will last longer and that one was just a dud.

the plot thickens lol, Maverick replied. my question to them:

Hi, i am wondering if i can use ET-732 with a slow cooker. a slow cooker is more or less sealed so the juice from the meat ends up collecting on the bottom and boiling such that the entire volume of the slow cooker is filled with steam. i know the probes on ET-732 are not water proof, which makes me wonder - would they be damaged by this steam ? in other words can ET-732 work for food that is being steamed rather than BBQed ? or will the probes be damaged by condensation ?

and their answer:

The ET-732 is not made to be used in a slow cooker. Although we would not recommend it, you can try it. As long as the temperature is below 410 degrees, there shouldn't be a problem.

ok that just makes no sense to me ...

Perhaps a replacement will last longer and that one was just a dud.

amazon reviews list the problem i had as a common problem, which is why i went for refund rather than replacement. plus i already ordered a different one that has no probes.

hm ...

You can use the probes from a cheap Maverick or a pricey Maverick or any other probe thermometer as long as you keep the coupling point and braid out of the moisture. If the joint gets more than water in it, it will fail faster.

The hole through the top works. You can also get a switched power source with a thermometer to shut off the power, although they are pricey for a good unit. I can't find the link I had now. They are out there.

You can use the probes from a cheap Maverick or a pricey Maverick or any other probe thermometer as long as you keep the coupling point and braid out of the moisture. If the joint gets more than water in it, it will fail faster.

i wonder if i can mod the probe by pulling some food grade high temperature silicone tubing over it ? i probably can.

ET-732 seems to be backordered everywhere. any ideas what my best bet would be as far as ordering one to receive it in a reasonable amount of time ?

You can also get a switched power source with a thermometer to shut off the power, although they are pricey for a good unit. I can't find the link I had now. They are out there.

do you mean something like this:

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/controllers/cal3200.html

and this:

Amazon.com: XANTECH AC1 Controlled AC Outlet: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51uEpim17BL.@@AMEPARAM@@51uEpim17BL

looks like it should work ... but frankly this is both too expensive and too complicated. i think i'd rather mod the probe with a piece of tubing and hope it really is safe for food ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just make sure only the solid part of the probe is the only part that gets wet. I dropped mine into some wort and that pretty much ruined it.

Back