Got my anniversary gift

okie0831

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Was at Home Depot today. Went for some light bulds and mini blinds. Circled thru the outdoor department like i always do and it jumped into my cart.
..........A Weber 22.5 Gold kettle. ..........

Well, our 21st anniversary is in 10 days, so I thought WFH! I also picked up a 2 pack of KB for the 8.00 price, a kettle cover, a chimney and of course the bulbs and blinds.

Got home, put it together in about 20 minutes (in 103 degree shade). Took a few pics for the family album and started reading the Guide & Recipes book that came with the kettle.

I have a few questions for the Brethren weber pros on here.

First question, in the recipes, under the approx grilling times, I see the indirect/direct and then low, medium, high heat. How do you obtain these heats?
Next question, in the same booklet, under the building an indirect heat, it shows a drip pan in the middle and coals all the way around it. I have read the fire brick mod/cook on here and was wondering the difference between the all around vs. the 1/3 or 1/4 side with the fire bricks.
Next question, do you use a thermometer under the top grate?

Going to try a cook next weekend, don't know what yet. Might depend on the answers I get to the above. Thanks guys.

Steve

Congrats on the new addition to your family! I love my OTG and cook on it quite a bit. My gasser has sat idle since I bought it.

As for your questions about direct/indirect and temps, I have never put a thermometer in mine and I haven't done any really long cooks in it. I just sorta go either direct or indirect and eyball the food. Experience will be your best guide on that stuff.

Not everyone does it the same way, but for me I do indirect by just putting the coals on one side giving me two different heat zones. For lower heat indirect for smoking I use my WSM's. So my kettles are pretty much always on the "high" setting for grilling and just has a cooler indirect side and a blazing hot direct side.

as far as the coals go i put them on one side. this allows me to cook direct or indirect. one thing to remember is to make sure the coals are upwind with one vent under the coals. the lid vent should be down wind. to make it easier to control the temp i now always cover the unused part of the coal grate with foil. as you get familiar with the kettle you will find that it can just about do everything. if i had to have only one it would be a kettle. so congrats an a great choice with yer wife being the greatest choice !

I do all sorts of methods, the 'ring of fire' method is one of them, and I like it for burn time and the fact the heat travels around the kettle a bit. I also bank and use grates to pile them on one side.

Was at Home Depot today. Went for some light bulds and mini blinds. Circled thru the outdoor department like i always do and it jumped into my cart.
..........A Weber 22.5 Gold kettle. ..........

Well, our 21st anniversary is in 10 days, so I thought WFH! I also picked up a 2 pack of KB for the 8.00 price, a kettle cover, a chimney and of course the bulbs and blinds.

Got home, put it together in about 20 minutes (in 103 degree shade). Took a few pics for the family album and started reading the Guide & Recipes book that came with the kettle.

I have a few questions for the Brethren weber pros on here.

First question, in the recipes, under the approx grilling times, I see the indirect/direct and then low, medium, high heat. How do you obtain these heats?
Next question, in the same booklet, under the building an indirect heat, it shows a drip pan in the middle and coals all the way around it. I have read the fire brick mod/cook on here and was wondering the difference between the all around vs. the 1/3 or 1/4 side with the fire bricks.
Next question, do you use a thermometer under the top grate?

Going to try a cook next weekend, don't know what yet. Might depend on the answers I get to the above. Thanks guys.

Steve

Is there any way you could post some of them pics here?

Back