First attempt - pulled pork question

C

CenTech

My first attempt at making pulled pork.

I got a small bone-in pork shoulder (4.15 lbs) yesterday.

Threw it in my UDS at around 5 am. Smoker was cruising steadily at 275-280 so I went inside to take a nap. Less than 4 hours later, my probe is reading internal temp of 193. Should I pull it or is there a trick to know if it's really done. I expected it to take much longer but the thermo isn't lying. Should I just wrap it and leave it on? Wrap and cooler?

Remember it's not neccesarily the temp. Use your probe all around the butt to feel for tenderness. If it goes in w/o pushing too hard, you're in!

Alright. When I was trying to get a reading in a different part, it didnt slide in all that easily. I just don't want to overtook the thing. Thanks.

Yep, when it probes like warm butter is a good indicator, or with a bone in, you can do the wiggle test. Wiggle the bone, if it feels like it's about to fall out, it's done.

And when they say "the probe will go in like butter" it is truly like probing soft butter. That is your sure way to know its ready. Good Luck with it!

Take it up to 200 if you not sure,asmall butt will cook pretty fast

Here it is with some PRON. The picture with it pulled kept failing to load, and so did a close-up of the beans. The beans were GREAT and the fact that I cooked them in my great-great-grandmother's cast iron skillet that was one of the few possessions she brought when she immigrated from Sweden ~100 years ago made it that much more special.

I'm sure it could be done better. The internal temps were really high, but then dropped slowly down from the 193 to 185 and hovered there for a while. I pulled it at 11 and foiled it for an hour before we ate it. The bone didn't slide right out, but it came clean pretty easily, and poking around it was pretty dang easy with the probe.

It ended up being great. Thanks for all the help.

The pineapple was...different....still prefer jalapenos with cream cheese and bacon. The pig candy was burned. I didn't like it but my friend did. Definite potential. Again, thanks for all the help everybody! I love this site and couldn't have done it without everybody.

Attachments

• IMG_5447.jpg
    IMG_5447.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5449.jpg
    IMG_5449.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 50
Back