THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B

Big_Jesse

Brothers,

Got a 9lb butt and a fatty on the WSM with some hickory chunks. Started at 5:30 this morning. Ill let you all know how it turns out. Wish me luck.

By the way Im using the "Down Home Pulled Pork Sandwiches" recipie from our Files section.

-Big Jesse

Jesse,

Are you getting the snow today that we are in NH? Good luck with the cook! Post pix if you can.

Scott

Good luck Jesse, good to know there are others that won't let a little cold and snow stop them from Qing.

Yes, its snowing pretty good over here. Started snowing about the time I put the Butt on the grill. Welcome to New England. I will try to post pictures for everyone.

-Big Jesse

Fun with Foil!!

And that's as far as I go with it - lest this thread get split off to the Wood Pile!

Good luck Jesse. My brisket is about to go in. Unlike your snow, I will have to contend with 83 and sunny. I'll manage.

Pork butt.....very forgiving first smoke......Mr. Kick thinks it was a good choice.......watch out for the wind gusts, if you have any.......wind will effect your cook more than the snow or cold......

It's gonna be a good day.....nothing like home smoked pulled pork.......

Good luck on the smoke Jesse.

I have absolutely no advice for maintaining temps in the snow. IT's overcast and 58 here right now and will probably get up into the high 60's today.

Stay warm!

Mr Kick's advice about the wind is right on,that is what will effect the cooker much more than the cold. Set up a wind block if possible and close the bottom vent that is the wind using the other two control pit temp will also help. The wind will cause you to go through much more fuel than normal.

The wind started picking up. I think its lowering my temp. I opened the three bottom vents and still hovering around 200-205. So I fired up some more briquetts in the chimney starter and threw them in. I also knocked down some of the ash's. Now its up to 225 with all vents open. I thought the wind would feed O2 to the fire and make the temps go up? At least the snow stopped.

-Big Jesse

Big_Jesse said:
The wind started picking up. I think its lowering my temp. I opened the three bottom vents and still hovering around 200-205. So I fired up some more briquetts in the chimney starter and threw them in. I also knocked down some of the ash's. Now its up to 225 with all vents open. I thought the wind would feed O2 to the fire and make the temps go up? At least the snow stopped.

-Big Jesse

The wind will feed O2 to the fire and create more fire.

However, the "wind chill" effect will increase the rate at which heat is carried away from the outside of the WSM.

It's the same principle as using a fan to cool the CPU in your computer.

Bigmista said:
Geek Mod.

Waitaminit!! I understood that! I must be a geek too!

Crap.

“It's the same principle as using a fan to cool the CPU in your computer.”

That’s what I thought. So, I’ve been using that windup bbq fan thingy I got at last years NY Bash to keep the CPU (?) in my computer cool. Sure does make it hard to type. Maybe that’s why my post count is so low!!! Ya think!! :?

Understood what??

Sure is tough being a Geek. Crank the little fan, type a little, then crank again! Boy, this is too much like work. :roll:

OK! OK Hijack END!!!

On a windy day, I’ve gone through a 20 lbs. bag of Kingsford and almost as much wood for a 6 hour cook. Now I use a makeshift barricade (what ever I can find).

Good luck on the cook

OK, Jesse - it's Sunday.....................How were the vittles?

The vittles were tender. Here are some pic's.
The Fattie
Fatty1.jpg

The Butt
Butt1.jpg

Thank you guy's for all your help.

-Big Jesse

*drool*

Gotta go reheat the fatty, hot link, and turkey leg from the weekend now.

Looks like you did a good job!

Good job, Jesse! Looks like you did well for your first smoke! How'd you like the Fattie? Do any Sausage Gravy and Biscuits?

Back