MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
sammyman
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Costco Kamado vs Weber Smokey Mountain

I just got into smoking ribs and other things this year with a Weber Smokey Mountain. I love it!

I was just a Costco and noticed they had a Kamado (Big Green Egg Knockoff) for about $499.

How much better would this grill be over the weber smokey mountain? Are there any major benefits between these two types of smokers? Is one easier to clean? I am guessing the ceramic would hold the temp a little better. Any other thoughts?
sammyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 12:14 AM   #2
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

Is this ceramic or metal?
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Oldyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 05:24 AM   #3
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

The main thing is the WSM is really just a smoker, but an awesome one at that. The eggs/kamodo's can smoke, but offer more uses like high heat grilling, baking, pizza making, etc. They don't have as much room to smoke as a WSM, but if you don't need all that room and then would like to also be able to grill then these could be better.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:24 AM   #4
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Seems like a very good price. The BGE is very much the most versatile smoker / griller on the market with the only limitation being it's size. If you're grilling smoking for your family and making Pizza's too, it's the perfect solution.

If you're smoking bacon and hams and briskets and ribs in larger volumes and you'd not really worried about flashing up a Pizza in 3 minutes, the WSM is the unit for you!

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 06:26 AM   #5
Mass. Wine Guy
Knows what a fatty is.

Holy heat pads! Has anyone used this kamado? Even if it's halfway decent it's worth a look.
Mass. Wine Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 07:03 AM   #6
chad

Actually, BGE is a knock-off of the original Kamado. I was using one in Japan in the 70's.

If you aren't moving it around much the clay cooker is a great choice. I like my WSM but it's not what you would call patio art!! Both cook great and the Weber will cost a bit less.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 07:33 AM   #7
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

I'd like to have both... but that's normal right?
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-30-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
rlt
On the road to being a farker

I got my hands on one of these at bass pro shops a few weeks back. It wasn't anywhere near the quality of my big green egg, but for the price it seemed like a good grill.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:28 AM   #9
bigabyte

I'd go with the WSM, then get the ceramic later. Or save up to get a BGE XL.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #10
smokinQ2
On the road to being a farker

I think you said you already have a WSM. Do you have a charcoal grill? What do you want to cook/smoke? Smokin Aussies suggestions were spot on. figure out what you want to cook and that will guide you. Most of us just look for any small reason to buy another smoker. You can't have too many grill/smokers!!!

Great example, we lost power a couple weekends ago and wife was concerned about food in fridges. I said "if we only had a small generator then we wouldn't have to worry", she said "that would be great, are they loud" and I said "not the Honda units". I am now the proud owner of a Honda 2000. Oh power was back on before I could get generator running.... Oh well!!!