Is this a slap on the wrist for drinkin reps?

Tarheel

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
This is on one of the other forums so I wanted to see what this forum thought.

Two reps have been punished by the board for drinking while at a contest on duty. They recieved a suspension of 6 contest or 3 months. :-o There is a rule in the reps manuel against it. They were asked by the ones who supplied the drinks if that was allowed and both said the rule had been changed.

Now, a cook gets caught using gas the wrong way, a hair dryer now, saying the wrong thing to a rep, or being unruley they are suspended for a year. Case in point, a team cooking there second contest used a weed burner to relight there coals in a bullet after removing the brisket from the bottom rack but they left the butt on the top rack. They did not know.:crazy:

Too bad, suspended for a year.

These two reps knew the rules, lied about it, and for one it is the second offence. :heh:

You tell me, does this seem even to you? Just for info, One board member voted for no punishment, and two abstained.
There are no guidelines for punishment for reps or judges and the board is trying to correct that. But it needs to be even in my opinion.
The reps are paid independent contractors now, they are suppose to be overseeing the contest for the KCBS. They should be held to the higher standard.

My two cents.

The Rep that had the second offense should be stripped of any & all KCBS offices, titles and jobs or duties. The other one should get a minimum of a one year suspension.
But then again, we have semi-famous Master CBJs who seem to have skated for the same crap.

I thought in that case it was judges, not reps, who were drinking? I don't think these are the same situations.

In my opinion the Reps should get a stiffer punishment than the judges. It's kinda like the cop who takes dope from the evidence locker & gets high - he (or she) d*mn well should have known better.
If you are in charge of enforcing the rules & you break said rules shouldn't your punishment be more severe?

In my opinion the Reps should get a stiffer punishment than the judges. It's kinda like the cop who takes dope from the evidence locker & gets high - he (or she) d*mn well should have known better.
If you are in charge of enforcing the rules & you break said rules shouldn't your punishment be more severe?

I don't necessarily disagree. I was just pointing out that this is a new horse we have yet to beat rather than that grease mark on the pavement that is the judging/drinking/verbal abuse debacle.

Aw...the drama:drama:eek:f KCBS.....Looks like reps and CBJ's should be held to the same level of respect and should be punished the same, for the same rule infraction(s), it all looks bad on the assn...:cop:

What boggles my mind is that while the rule has been in place for at least as long as I've been a member of KCBS, they neglected to assign a consequence for breaking them. There is no reason to be making up punishments on a case-to-case basis.

Rules are rules... they are there for a reason.

So if KCBS has the rules in place, why don't they, or if so no one has mentioned them, have the consequences listed as well, they do for teams that break the rules..... or didn't they think they would be broken?

Personally, I'd like to hear the other side of the story; I know the reps in question and what I've heard doesn't sound like them AT ALL. I've heard one of them speak out at a CBJ class I helped with about not drinking alcohol at contests, so something doesn't seem right.

Lynn H.

This is on one of the other forums so I wanted to see what this forum thought.

Now, a cook gets caught using gas the wrong way, a hair dryer now, saying the wrong thing to a rep, or being unruley they are suspended for a year. Case in point, a team cooking there second contest used a weed burner to relight there coals in a bullet after removing the brisket from the bottom rack but they left the butt on the top rack. They did not know.:crazy:

Too bad, suspended for a year.

Give me some insight here. How do you remove the top rack, to remove the bottom rack, on a WSM and then put the top rack back on, and not know about it?

A hair dryer makes heat electrically, use a fan.

Oh, man. This is too complicated.

Drinking reps, judges maybe, hair dryers as forced draft, changing racks, removing bottom first (how does that work?) crime and punishment . . .

Can someone start all over at the beginning for me?

:)

Give me some insight here. How do you remove the top rack, to remove the bottom rack, on a WSM and then put the top rack back on, and not know about it?

A hair dryer makes heat electrically, use a fan.

Not sure how that happened either, and don't have all the info on that one. Yes, a hair dryer can make heat, but would you be cooking with it? I don't think so.

Yes, a hair dryer can make heat, but would you be cooking with it? I don't think so.

would you, or could you?

I wouldn't

I could (this is a stretch, but here goes) see how somebody might get one of them super, duper, high powered ones (maybe it's a heat gun) and want to crank it up to "melt" the fat on the chicken skin. That's a stretch and I ain't never seen it done, though.

I hear that kids on college campuses use em to heat food.

Oh, man. This is too complicated.

Drinking reps, judges maybe, hair dryers as forced draft, changing racks, removing bottom first (how does that work?) crime and punishment . . .

Can someone start all over at the beginning for me?

:)

I heard the reps allowed pork collar too! :tape::shocked::doh::becky:

LOL j/k

If you use any device that adds heat to the chamber that is cooking your food while said food is in chamber, and that heat was not energy derived from the combustion of wood or coal, you're wrong. It's not that difficult.

Were they cooking with a hair dryer?, most likely not. Did they break the rules, yes.

It sounds like two different issues are being discussed. I will address one of them. I think just as our laws are written, there can be some lattitude taken based on each situation. In our justice system there are sentance guidelines so that a Judge can make the punishment fit the crime. I think the KCBS should be structured the same way. I think there should be a guideline, and every case be judged individually based on the facts and a punishment be handed out based on the particular situation. Obviously a first offender should be handled differently than a multiple offender or one who shows remorse be handled differently than one who shows no remorse. I think an automatic 1 year suspension is the wrong way to handle things.

Back