MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:11 PM   #46
Black Dog BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
If you like straight up KC style with the smoke flavoring in the sauce, this is a +1 also for Head Country and Head Country Hot. They're both good, and I use them both in my brunswick stew and on hamburgers.
Didn't know Head Country made a "hot" a must try for me. Thanks
(2) UDS
Jenair Gasser
Black Dog BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2011, 12:07 AM   #47
pinkelephant
Full Fledged Farker

Big Ron makes competition rubs and he just released a bbq sauce. I got 3 bottles in the mail
http://www.bigronswebsite.com/

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-23-2011, 01:01 AM   #48
deez20
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Steve

I've been using big ricks sauce lately http://bigricks.com/zencart/ .
My sister signed me up for a sauce/rub of the month for christmas and this is what came last month. So far i've liked it the best, even ordered a bottle of the honey bbq and chipotle ketchup which were both good.

Chubby Hubby BBQ

WSM
Yoder YS640
Cookshack 008
GMG Davy Crockett
Large Big Green Egg
The Fastest and most accurate Thermapen, the ORANGE Thermapen.
Stoker
deez20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2011, 01:16 AM   #49
jaymo
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BONESDILLIGAF View Post
I am new here, I have read quite a few of the threads.... but I am rather disappointed to see how many of you use pre-made sauces. Now I am not in your kitchens, so I have no real idea why... is it more of a time constraint thing? Or is it that you have never taken the leap to experiment with making your own? I BBQ and Grill a lot, and financially it is much cheaper to make my own sauces and rubs, and quite frankly it is much easier to adjust flavors for differing uses.. ie honey base / molasses base / brown sugar / vinegar / pepper
the other advantage is of course making the sauce with the rub you are using, and enhancing the rubs flavor with the sauce instead of competing flavor profiles.

anyway, I was just wondering why the large amount of pre-made sauce use.
thanks

~BONES~
First of all, I have to point out that the title of this thread is, in fact, "Commercial BBQ Sauce." The OP was not asking for homemade sauce recipes. I have no doubt that 99% (or more) of the folks who posted their favorite commercial sauce here also make their own.

I can't speak for anyone else but myself here, but I *do* make a lot of sauces at home. I love to try different recipes. I started with some of the basic sauce/rub recipes in Steve Raichlen's books when I started grilling/smoking, moved on to his more specialized recipes, and now I will work from scratch or try things I find here on the forums or elsewhere if they sound interesting.

All of that said, I enjoy trying different commercial sauces as well. They can provide inspiration, or even just further inform me as to what others are doing, whether I like it or not.

I'm a professional jazz guitarist, playing with some of the top Milwaukee & Chicago musicians, and while I think I perform great music, I regularly listen to as much other good music (jazz, classical, R&B, world music, dance music, etc) as I can get my hands on, regardless of style! I also have an art studio where I paint abstracts with encaustic wax. My pieces have been shown in many galleries and museum shows. I love to go out and see other artists' works as often as possible.

To me cooking comes from the same creative place as music, visual art, homebrewing and many other things I enjoy doing. Why shouldn't I check out the sauces other people are making in an attempt to make the homemade ones even better?

edit: Sorry to hijack a bit, but I thought the point brought up by the poster was worth addressing within the context of this thread.