• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Spatchcock a Chicken ?

Samichlaus

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Any of you guys do this? Seems like you expose a lot more of the surface area of the meat to the smoke.

spatchcock2.jpg

Well, this picture dwarfs my meager lunch for the day.

You can never go wrong with breaking a bird down or spreading it out as so it cook faster, evenly, and heck, who knows, more meat exposed to smoke sounds good to me.

Does smoking a chicken like that cut down on the cooking time?

BigdogSmoker said:
Does smoking a chicken like that cut down on the cooking time?

Maybe a little - but the thickest part of the chicken is still the thickest part of the chicken :D

So, it takes about the same time but does make a neat presentation.

Like TK I usually just halve the chicken - easier to handle.

Maybe once or twice a year I do it that way to serve on a humongous platter. Put it on a bed of rice pilaf, add some mixed veggies around the side. Or if I use cajun seasoning on the bird it's dirty rice and ring the platter with some fried shrimp and sliced andouille.

Put it on a bed of rice pilaf, add some mixed veggies around the side

You ruined it how? :shock: Actually - the cajun variation with dirty rice and sausage sounds pretty good.

Maybe once or twice a year I do it that way to serve on a humongous platter. Put it on a bed of rice pilaf, add some mixed veggies around the side. Or if I use cajun seasoning on the bird it's dirty rice and ring the platter with some fried shrimp and sliced andouille.

Drool catcher mod

Back