Is it cheaper to buy rub or make it?

RevZiLLa

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Some of the Brethren make and sell some awesome rub. I have been making my own, but wonder if its worth it, considering that the commercial rub guys get volume discounts on spices and I'm paying full price.

There are plenty of places to get spices in bulk for a decent price. I have ordered a few things from spicebarn.com. The only catch there is the shipping will get you if you are only buying a couple things. Also, get the stuff in bags so you don't have to pay for the container. Also, check your local markets. Here in KC we have a farmer's market downtown every weekend. There are a couple vendors that sell spices for $1 a scoop which is usually 4-5oz.

Much cheaper to make your own. I go to s natural food store and buy all my spices in bulk. Cheap.

There are plenty of places to get spices in bulk for a decent price. I have ordered a few things from spicebarn.com. The only catch there is the shipping will get you if you are only buying a couple things. Also, get the stuff in bags so you don't have to pay for the container. Also, check your local markets. Here in KC we have a farmer's market downtown every weekend. There are a couple vendors that sell spices for $1 a scoop which is usually 4-5oz.

I am so jealous.... was in KC about a month ago and stopped in the farmer's market. Loved the spice guys, we loaded up and are probably going to have to make a weekend trip to get more at some point. They have some great spice mixes there. Got some fajita spice that is very good and a steak blend that we love. Wish it was closer to home though. Have to find some other reason to justify the trip than just spice shopping.

Cheaper and personally satisfying IMHO to create/make your own.

If you can get into a Restaurant Depot their bulk spices are crazy cheap. I do a little of both, I make my own and also use some Brethren made rub. I always have some Yardbird, Bovine Bold and Simply Marvelous Cherry around somewhere.

I also mke my own rubs and it is cheaper. I have a Savory Spice Shop very near to where I live.

I do keep SM Cherry in the spice cabinet just because it is so good.

It is cheaper to make them, and I love making my own, but there are some Like Bad Byron's Butt Rub that can be had in large containers for a reasonable price.

Thanks for the good ideas! No RD here in Richmond, VA, but there are some natural foods type stores that probably have bulk. McCormick Spices is in Baltimore and may be an opportunity.

You can also try places like Cash and Carry or other restraunt supply stores

I think it depends on the rub mixture.

I like making my own, though I'm not sure the quality. Just feel like I'm giving in when I buy rub.

But, I mainly use sugar, salt, peper, garlic/onion poweder, and papirka. Those are easily bought and cheap.

when doing sausage though i've given up on making my own and just buy the AC Leggs packages. it takes a lot to make sausage spices and you can buy a bag, does 25 pounds of meat, for like 2 dollars.

I am curious to ask how cheap is cheap by making your own? I sell to resturants and caterers and they tell me my delivered price per lb to them is cheaper than making their own.

I do both. With shipping and all, I'm not going to say that buying is cheap, but since they are proven, high quality rubs, I do it anyway. I'm not well practiced at making my own and so can't duplicate the good stuff I buy like SM or Plowboy's.

I do make a rub that I like and since I buy most of the spices I use in large shakers at Sam's Club it's really affordable.

I say do what you like. If you've got a homemade rub you like, buy spices in bulk or it surely will be expensive. If you buy prepared rubs, know that you're getting good stuff.

I am curious to ask how cheap is cheap by making your own? I sell to resturants and caterers and they tell me my delivered price per lb to them is cheaper than making their own.

I have no doubt that you can do better in bulk, but for a guy like me it's makes more sense to buy $10 worth of sugar and spices and make 2 or 3 different rubs and then do it again next month.

Another thing to consider is the quality of your ingredients. I KNOW there's Hungarian paprika in my rub.

I don't know about all other places in the country, but we have quite a few mexican and asian markets in my area. Bulk spices from those places are really cheap and probalby a great source for rub ingredients...

Honestly, I don't know if it is cheaper but I like making my own rub. I can adjust everything to be what I want. I quess that I could adjust what I got from a comercial vendor, but if I start from scratch, I know exactly what I've got.

It will be cheaper to make your own in most cases if you buy your ingredients in bulk. The problem with spices is that they lose their potency over time with exposure to air and light. There are a lot of ways to handle that though... You can mix up your rub and put it in mason jars and vacuum seal those jars with a foodsaver or similar unit. If you store those jars in a cool dark environment, you can keep them almost indefinitely.

Back