Reaction score
this Is the box i turned in at roc city rib fest. scores were:
J1 6,8,8
J2 8,7,8
J3 6,7,8
J4 5,7,7
J5 8,8,8
J6 6,6,6​

Is it me or is judge 4 and 6 out of line with the other judges? no comment cards were recieved. How would you judge it? how can I inprove?​

Last edited:
You're always going to have one or two of "those" judges that just don't seem to score like the others.

As far as the box, it looks a little "busy" to me. I would place all of your meat in the center. This will do a couple of things:

1) Larger mass stays warmer than smaller, broken up piles.
2), It looks more apealing.

In front of a larger pile, I would slice up the money muscle into 6 individual portions so meet that part of the criteria. How you sauce is up to you.

this Is the box i turned in at roc city rib fest. scores were:
J1 6,8,8
J2 8,7,8
J3 6,7,8
J4 5,7,7
J5 8,8,8
J6 6,6,6​

Is it me or is judge 4 and 6 out of line with the other judges? no comment cards were recieved. How would you judge it? how can I inprove?​

Statistically judges 2 & 5 are further off the mean average than 4 & 6, but no one ever talks about high scoring "rouge judges". It's really hard to judge based on that particular photograph, but my first suggestion would be more meat. I'd be less concerned about the appearance scores than all the 7's for taste.

Sorry but I would say judges 2 and 5 were generous speaking purely from appearance. The box just looks a bit haphazard. Like it was all thrown in and a spoon and sauce was blopped on top. I agree that moving it to the center would help and to increase the quantity of meat. Some bark showing would also help with appearance and taste in my opinion. Also add some type of order to your lettuce. keith

It looks like a salad rather than a pork turn-in. Not trying to be harsh, but the box needs to loaded where the lettuce isn't the main attraction. Keep six piles or groups, but add more to the box. Paul's tutorial is probably the best advice for a starting cook. Good info. Good luck. Steve.

Sorry... I have to agree with Mobow. It's not a garnish competition but the lettuce is overwhelming the meat. Plus, the meat doesn't scream "eat me!" to me. It's probably not a 5, but I think 6 is fair.

Take a look at the Judge My Box section of BBQCritic.com. There are a lot of boxes submitted anonymously along with comments from Master Judges, CBJs and cooks.

http://www.bbqcritic.com/judgemybox.html

More meat, and I only see traces of bark. As a judge, it looks like you put my table on pork restriction.

I would probably have scored the box at a 5 or maybe a 4, doesnt make me want to grab some. meat seems hidden to me. more meat may help.

keep in mind that its is NOT the "pulled pork" catagory...its the pork catagory. As a competitor I cringe when I hear that...

Take a look at the Judge My Box section of BBQCritic.com. There are a lot of boxes submitted anonymously along with comments from Master Judges, CBJs and cooks.

http://www.bbqcritic.com/judgemybox.html

Take your BP meds before you go there; if you don't drink now you will after seeing some of the comments on some of the boxes :frusty:

When I make boxes you can hardly tell there is garnish in there at all they are so packed with meat. I find full boxes of meat score better.

Another opinion for less garnish, more meat. It's hard to make lettuce behave, but believe me, it can be done. I'd rather see a straight line of tight lettuce frill at the edge of the box, and then nothing but meat.

My initial reaction was a 5, perhaps a 6 on a good day. Honestly, it looks like something my cat yacked up. It's the opposite of appetizing. Imagery is everything, so piles of meat usually aren't a good idea. MUCH less garnish, and MUCH more pork. Larger pieces about the size of your thumb and bark (with some nice smoke ring) will be much more appetizing. Sauces more towards the mahogany red color do better; lighter browner sauces, even those that taste fantastic, can get close to bringing forth imagery that's not associated with barbecue.

When I make boxes you can hardly tell there is garnish in there at all they are so packed with meat. I find full boxes of meat score better.

Agreed, show me the meat!!

Back