Minneapolis to Lake of the Woods

Gore

Phizzy

Batch Image
Reaction score
Will be flying in to MSP and driving north to Lake of the Woods. Anyone have any recommended restaurants in the area?

I know we head part way up the interstate, but I'm not sure where we pull off. I don't really know as I'm not driving :becky:. I don't think we'll have too much extra time for detours as it's a somewhat tight schedule (last time we arrived too late and it cost us), but I will definitely punch your address in the TomTom. :thumb:

you anywhere near Rice Lake, Butz?

I live only about an hour away from there, the shop is an hour and 15min away from Rice Lake. We are always going to Rice lake though, or Spooner that is just up the highway from there.

I know we head part way up the interstate, but I'm not sure where we pull off. I don't really know as I'm not driving :becky:. I don't think we'll have too much extra time for detours as it's a somewhat tight schedule (last time we arrived too late and it cost us), but I will definitely punch your address in the TomTom. :thumb:

If you're going to head up the way I think you are, chances are we are going to be waaaaaay off course. When you looking at passing through?

Not sure exactly, but probably leaving Minneapolis around 8:00am Monday and then back sometime Friday evening. I think Monday would definitely be out, but Friday is a possibility depending on how long the drive takes. I might be able to talk my companions into making an hour's detour. We'll see if they catch any pike and are in a good mood.

:laugh: Sound like either way, I'm going to end up missing you on this trip. unless it was later in the evening on Friday. Either way, hope you have a fantastic time fishing. Think Pahutches might be along your path though.

Gore, I am on your way, I work in the City of Wyoming, about 45 minutes north of the airport, I35 Exit 135, City Hall is 2 blocks east and 2 blocks north.
Live in Linwood Township (Stacy), exit 139, about 5 miles west.
Monday morning I'll be at Memorial Day services until around 11:00.
Friday I'll be at work until 4:30. It would be nice to meet you if you can find the time.
A lot of home cooking type places along the way up, not much fancy ones until Duluth, but you'll probably be pulling off before there.
Where are you staying?

Last edited:
Wow, and right off the freeway! How cool is that. The only thing that could be better is if there's an Applebees at that exit where we could meet and get some BBQ! I think Monday is out, but there is the possibility of Friday, except I have no idea when we'll be driving through, but it could work. I was just thinking I could get a couple restaurant recommendations on the way, especially near the airport. We're staying at one of the Marriotts near the airport.

Applebees? :icon_blush: There is one in Forest Lake, the exit south of Wyoming, but with bridge construction it would be the Wyoming exit when you are heading south. There is another place in Forest Lake called Norman Quacks, that serves restaurant style ribs that aren't bad. It describes itself as a steak, ribs, pork, style chop house, the food ain't bad either. There is also a Famous Daves on the other side of the freeway, have you tried that? When heading south you'd take the Wyoming exit for all of them. There is a place in Wyoming called the Cornerstone that might have a frog leg special on Friday

It's a long drive every day to get from the Marriot near the airport to Lake of the Woods :becky:
I meant where are you staying up there?

I don't think I've ever had Applebees, but everyone talks about them on this website, so I figure they've got to be pretty good. I have eaten at Famous Dave's once, the last time I was on one of these fishing trips a few years back. Maybe we can try to meet you at Norman Quacks on our way back. We're heading up to Young's Wilderness Camp:
http://www.youngswildernesscamp.com/
No, I don't really fish, just tag along with my uncle and brother for the company.

I have a pretty flexible schedule, we could meet at City Hall and head to Norman's when you get into town. I'll send a PM with my phone numbers.

The camp looks really nice, I am jealous, even if you don't fish the scenery will be beautiful, it's God's country!!

It really is a beautiful area. I was shocked by the number of bald eagles. They were everywhere. Last time they flew us out to a remote cabin on a lake in a pontoon plane. Don't have time for that this year. If it were up to me, I'd just hang out at the cabin, relax and enjoy the nature, but my brother and uncle will want to get up at 5:00am every morning and actually fish. You know what the funny thing is: they don't even drink :crazy:. Yeah, I thought that's what "fishing" meant.

There are a few Dickies BBQ around the cities:p

I would guess you will go up through Maple Grove and up 169 to Grand Rapids the northwest to lake of the woods

I think we headed up I-35 toward Duluth and then up to International Falls via 53 -- at least that's what I remember.

Talked to my wife about this she reminded me that I-35 is only about an hour away from us. I get off work from the day job and could be somewhere off of 35 by 5:30 on Friday. :becky:

BigButz, I have been thinking about heading your way for a long time now. Next time we go north (if I can convince the missus) where would you hit 35?

Id say hit famous daves if your going to go to a corporate restaurant. In my opinion Applebees BBQ is horrid. I used to go there all the time with friends just to hang out and get cheap food. Id say the food is a low c grading A to F. I live about 20 minutes from the airport and St. Paul so i know the area where you will be landing. A lot of places for food since you will be close to downtown St. Paul and the Mall of America which is only a few minutes away from the airpoart.

Back